tony b

Anova Father's Day Sale

I've done a lot with mine, from the obvious steaks to perfectly poached eggs (scrambled too), seafood is the best (especially shrimp). Played with mashed potatoes some. Stuffed pork chops and chicken breasts are great - the stuffing doesn't run out. Makes awesome fried chicken - SV cook it first, then bread and fry (you don't burn the breading trying to get the chicken done.)

I'm also a homebrewer and use it a lot in the brew room to heat my strike water. It also makes a great whirlpool circulator (set the temp as low as it will go, so it never heats the wort, just helps circulate it around my immersion chiller.)

It's one of the most used appliances in the kitchen/brew room. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rwalters said:

I am still on the fence. What do you typically find yourself tossing into a water bath?

Thick slabs of any protein including king salmon, halibut, porcine & bovine :D, chicken wings(!) from another here on KK, scallops(!), shrimp and so on.

Scallops take 30-minutes in the bag and I guarantee you if you like scallops you won't cook them without SV again.    Scallops, butter, S&P and chervil/taragon;  vac seal in a bag; into the water bath for 30-minutes; drain & save the liquid...reduce by 1/2-3/4 add butter and you have an amazing sauce for the scallops) then into a hot hot and hotter skillet (on the KK of course...) about 1-2 minutes per side and you have the most amazing scallops.

Edited by dstr8
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dstr8 said:

Thick slabs of any protein including king salmon, halibut, porcine & bovine :D, chicken wings(!) from another here on KK, scallops(!), shrimp and so on.

Scallops take 30-minutes in the bag and I guarantee you if you like scallops you won't cook them without SV again.    Scallops, butter, S&P and chervil/taragon;  vac seal in a bag; into the water bath for 30-minutes; drain & save the liquid...reduce by 1/2-3/4 add butter and you have an amazing sauce for the scallops) then into a hot hot and hotter skillet (on the KK of course...) about 1-2 minutes per side and you have the most amazing scallops.

What temperature are you using in your water bath?

We leave a 12 quart Cambro set up in the laundry room, corner cut from the lid for the Anova. One begins to find very pedestrian uses replacing the microwave, such as defrosting and cooking peas as a side for dinner.

Or simply defrosting. Set the target temperature to 0 C, and a circulating water bath defrosts rapidly while keeping the food in question as cold as in the fridge.

Our favorite approach to red meat has become a several hour bath at 136 F or so, followed by a much shorter "roasting" in the KK oven. Once one asks the question if one is just playing Simon Says in attempting a hard sear, we find we prefer this softer approach.

(Everything in our chest freezer is vacuum-packed in sous vide bags.)

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mtroo said:

What temperature are you using in your water bath?

Did scallops again last night...122ºF for 30-minutes then into a very hot cast iron pan atop hot coals in my KK.   Perfect tenderness edge to edge without the usual tough outer skin when cooked w/o sous vide.   Yet the scallops were well caramelized on both sides. 

I'm doing a thick New York/strip steak right now...it gets s&p'd plus fresh rosemary springs...vac sealed and into 124ºF for 90-minutes.   It will get seared later today over KK Coffeechar for tonight's dinner.   Unlike Dennis' findings I have never found a slimy or squishy texture to the steaks I sous vide...YMMV.

Edited by dstr8
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, dstr8 said:

Did scallops again last night...122ºF for 30-minutes then into a very hot cast iron pan atop hot coals in my KK.   Perfect tenderness edge to edge without the usual tough outer skin when cooked w/o sous vide.   Yet the scallops were well caramelized on both sides. 

I'm doing a thick New York/strip steak right now...it gets s&p'd plus fresh rosemary springs...vac sealed and into 124ºF for 90-minutes.   It will get seared later today over KK Coffeechar for tonight's dinner.   Unlike Dennis' findings I have never found a slimy or squishy texture to the steaks I sous vide...YMMV.

I generally cook my steaks sv at 131f which keeps the wife happy.  Then onto a Tec infrared grill for about 45 seconds per side.  Perfect every time.  

54 minutes ago, Mtroo said:

I generally cook my steaks sv at 131f which keeps the wife happy.  Then onto a Tec infrared grill for about 45 seconds per side.  Perfect every time.  

I generally SV my steaks earlier in the day then into an ice bath then into the refrigerator until grilling time.   This is generally the reason I SV at 124-ish.   And I like the Maillard effect better when the coolish steak hits the hot KK grate...many ways to get to the same destination :)

I do my steaks at 132F and love the colour and texture I get. I also like the security of knowing that my steak may look very rare but it is cooked all the bugs are killed by the long time in the bath.:)

I do:

Scallops @140 F for 30mins

Hallibut @125°F for 12-20mins. Stat checking after 12 mins. then every 2 mins. until the desired doneness

Edited by MacKenzie

37 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I do my steaks at 132F and love the colour and texture I get. I also like the security of knowing that my steak may look very rare but it is cooked all the bugs are killed by the long time in the bath.:)

I do:

Scallops @140 F for 30mins

Hallibut @125°F for 12-20mins. Stat checking after 12 mins. then every 2 mins. until the desired doneness

Mackenzie, 

how do you "check"?   Do you have a thermometer inserted in the halibut?

1 hour ago, dstr8 said:

I generally SV my steaks earlier in the day then into an ice bath then into the refrigerator until grilling time.   This is generally the reason I SV at 124-ish.   And I like the Maillard effect better when the coolish steak hits the hot KK grate...many ways to get to the same destination :)

Is it cooked at 124?   How hot is the interior when you do it this way?  Why not leave it in the sv until grilling time, then ice bath to cool the exterior then sear on grill.  Interesting. :)

2 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

I've company coming over this weekend and I promise you I"ll be doing NY Strips and Scallops cooked in the SV.  SV Surf-n-Turf!  How can it get any better?  Pics to follow!

Thanks @dstr8 for the inspiration!

So steak at 130ish and scallops at 122ish?   You have 2 sv?   What I did this past weekend was tri tip at 131 then dump water and meat in small yeti cooler.   Then potatoes in at 194f to cook for potato purée. Having two would be way easier.  Hmmmm....