JimBob67

First Overnight Smoke with CyberQ

I had hoped to write this in installments as I smoked overnight from the 3rd to the 4th, but I must be toxic to the Forum system. It was down all day for me. So, this is in retrospect.

I decided to do a couple of Boston Blade roasts overnight Sunday, to be ready for some family on the Fourth. For good measure, I also did some Beef Plate Short Ribs. This was my first long-term smoke using the CoCo charcoal and my CyberQ unit.

I learned some stuff along the way. First, as all of you have warned me, it's hard to get the temp back down once it's up! I managed to overshoot the 225 target (kept it below 300, though) by keeping the top vent open too much.  "Too much" was less than a whole turn open, but I soon discovered that I needed to keep the sliding vent on the fan at 50% or less, and the top barely 1/4 turn open from totally shut!  I suspect the top vent was probably more important than the CyberQ or the lower opening.

The CoCo burned nicely, but I was surprised that after 12 hours it was pretty well depleted and needed to be replenished. Next time I'm trying BGE which, although probably not as good as the CoCo, will be a little more economical.

Took me 15+hours to get the meat to 195. After that, I wrapped it in foil, stuck it in a Coleman, and put the beef plates on. I bought these from Snake River Farms. Supposedly American Wagyu, and for the price I think next time I will get some beef short ribs from my butcher. The things were really fatty. I took them to 190 and people were starting to grumble about being hungry, so perhaps a little more time to get them to 200 might have helped the fattiness.

I did try one new thing. This has probably been described, but I haven't seen it. For smoking, I love the articles on using a drilled-out cast iron stockpot, couldn't find one in town so Amazon is bringing one. I decided to try 2-3 chunks of pecan double-wrapped in heavy-duty foil, then sticking a knife blade through the foil in a couple locations. I then slid this into the very bottom of the unit, by opening the ash-removal door and putting it in there. I figured, the volatile smoke fragments would get consumed by the fire right above it, and this would still smoke slowly. Seemed to work very well. I love pecan smoke!

The shoulder was great (I've been doing shoulder for 40 years, the last 10 on a pellet smoker (Cookshack Fast Eddy FEC100) but for my first time on the KK, I think it went well. NEXT time I'm going to set the CyberQ at 200, make sure it's holding there, and then dial it up. I know, the KK does hold steady temps by itself, but I like to sleep without worrying. 20 years ago, babysitting it with a beer in hand was a lot of fun. At age 67, think I'll choose sleep.

Here are a few photos. Time to heat up some leftovers...

pork01.JPG

pork02.JPG

pork03.JPG

pork04.JPG

pork05.JPG

pork06.JPG

pork07.JPG

pork05 copy.JPG

• Like 1

There's no need to try and trick the cyberq, also no need to choke the fan. As you noted the trick is to keep the top vent almost completely closed. I just barely open from being able to feel the gasket. The cyberq learns your grill during a cook, so if it's not acting just right, re cycle the power. I've used these things for about 4 years, and I love them.

There's no need to stay at 225°, it's not a problem, but higher, I like 275°, is way more predictable, a good bit faster with no difference in results.

Do you already have the bge coal? If not, get royal oak, that's what bge coal is, just in a different bag and more exspnsive.

Rob

• Like 2

I tend to agree! I found a couple posts here recommending choking down the CyberQ, but I've found by trial and error that the top vent is the main factor. And, boy, are you right! I just BARELY come off the gasket-tight setting on that vent, and that's all you need.

I've always cooked with the pellet cooker at 225, but I found that this unit "likes" to be around 250, so I might try easing the temps up a bit.  One thing I learned (DUH!) is that the CyberQ can heat the thing up, but can't do squat to cool it off. 

The Ace hardware here in town has BGE which I've used for a long time. I understand it's made by Royal Oak, and they are going to see if they can order in some Royal Oak Lump. Either way, a lot cheaper that CoCo char!

• Like 1

Sounds like you've got the feel for the top vent. You want the fan to run regularly, you want the temp to drop if the fan isn't running regularly. Next time, get the guru set up, light the fire, close the lid, and walk away. These things work as advertised, they just require proper set up.

Rob

My only add to this discussion is that if it's a really windy day, you might want to choke down on the guru fan damper to 50%, as the wind will draw air through the fan even if it's not running. And, as you've already learned, once the temps get above the guru's setpoint, it just stops running and can't bring the temps back down again.

15 minutes ago, tony b said:

My only add to this discussion is that if it's a really windy day, you might want to choke down on the guru fan damper to 50%, as the wind will draw air through the fan even if it's not running. And, as you've already learned, once the temps get above the guru's setpoint, it just stops running and can't bring the temps back down again.

You know, I noticed yesterday. After hours of stability, the winds came up and suddenly the temperature rose. Figured it had to be the fan vent so I closed it almost all the way. The fan wasn't going to run, anyway. Thanks for the tip!

20 minutes ago, 5698k said:

Sounds like you've got the feel for the top vent. You want the fan to run regularly, you want the temp to drop if the fan isn't running regularly. Next time, get the guru set up, light the fire, close the lid, and walk away. These things work as advertised, they just require proper set up.

Rob

Thanks! Just so I have this straight---"close the lid" would mean to have the top vent barely cracked as we were discussing?  The fan would be set up with the damper on the fan wide open? Some folks recommend taking the KK to the desired temp before plugging in the CyberQ in order to heat soak, but I think doing it that way really contributed to my temperature overshoot.

Close the lid literally means close the lid. Some folks leave the lid open for a bit to ensure the fire is lit. Setting the top vent is another action, but the good news is that the top vent setting will likely never change. If you keep it closed enough, wind shouldn't affect the temp. The fan damper is wide open. If you feel that wind is affecting things, by all means, close it a bit.

Once your grill is loaded with coal and you're ready to light, get the cyberq set up, and plugged in, vents at their proper settings. Light a very small amount of coal, a verify its lit. Close the lid, and walk away. I do let the temp soak a bit before adding smoke wood, deflector, grates and proteins, it helps in returning to target temp. I let the cyberq do the work, it's literally running before I actually light the fire. Follow these suggestions and your fire will never be more than 5° off, and closer than that once stabilized.

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5698k said:

Close the lid literally means close the lid. Some folks leave the lid open for a bit to ensure the fire is lit. Setting the top vent is another action, but the good news is that the top vent setting will likely never change. If you keep it closed enough, wind shouldn't affect the temp. The fan damper is wide open. If you feel that wind is affecting things, by all means, close it a bit.

Once your grill is loaded with coal and you're ready to light, get the cyberq set up, and plugged in, vents at their proper settings. Light a very small amount of coal, a verify its lit. Close the lid, and walk away. I do let the temp soak a bit before adding smoke wood, deflector, grates and proteins, it helps in returning to target temp. I let the cyberq do the work, it's literally running before I actually light the fire. Follow these suggestions and your fire will never be more than 5° off, and closer than that once stabilized.

Rob

Oh, close "that" lid!  Can't see much to be gained by leaving it open, that's for sure!  Your reply has made its way to my permanent file on BBQ, very helpful! I really appreciate your help.

Jim

I've only done a few cooks wth my new CyberQ but plan to use it every time (for low & slow / roasting). I burn far less charcoal, get thin blue smoke faster, and have consistent temps over long periods. I've been setting the top vent 1/8 turn open and the guru damper 1/3 open. Results have been great. Based on Rob's comments, I might try opening the guru damper all the way next time.  My method has worked, but I'm always open to new ideas. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as the saying goes. There is a small downside to opening the guru damper all the way - windy conditions. Even with the top vent almost closed, you can vacuum drag enough air through the guru fan port on a moderately windy day to cause your temps to increase beyond the guru's setpoint and it will stop running. Then, fingers crossed that your fire doesn't go out before the temps drop back down under the setpoint where the fan will start running again. Or, if it stays windy, your fire won't go out, but the temps will just keep creeping up to match the airflow caused by the wind. I've seen situations where my temps went up by 50F, so this advice is from firsthand experience. 

• Like 1

Honestly this was my first attempt at brisket, let alone burnt ends.  I kept it real simple, just smoked it for about 8 hours and wrapped in butcher paper for the last 2 1/2.  KK's are great with moisture so as long as you have the patience to cook until probe tender, you really can't go wrong.  Although, I am curious to see how Raichlans brisket comes out, so please post when you cook!

• Like 1