ThreeDJ16

Calphalon Katana Cutlery

Sweet!

You will be happy with them. This is another company where the lifetime warranty is exactly that, and is happily honor without argument. I dont have their knives, but do have their commercial cookware, with a lifetime warranty. After over 10 years of use, the anodized finish is worn down on the interior of some of the more used pots, and I have a couple of 13" fry pans which have some warp on the bottom surface.

I called their 800 number, told the lady what I had, and her reply was "just package up any pieces you are not 100% happy with, and send them in. That model is no longer in production, so we will be replacing them with Calphalon One" She provided thew address, and now all I need to do is find time to package them up and ship them off. (Its been months :D but I know the offer is good whenever I get around to it)

I am thinking about calling to ask if I can send all of my pieces, so they will all match since I am getting a newer model. I suspect they will have no qualms with it.

Like the old craftsman hammer you find in the trash with a broken handle. Just take it to Sear's and swap it. :shock:

Looks like some good knives. I have a good set of knifes and a really nice Tormek wet grinder for sharpening my woodworking tools. It works great on knifes and scizzors too. With the water, you won't destroy the temper.

Speaking of sharpeners Curly, I posted an excellent knife sharpener in another thread. Nothing fancy or automatic, but it puts a professional edge on knives. I hate using a dull knife! Luckily, these knives I bought came razor sharp, so hopefully no sharpening for a while.

-=Jasen=-

Just looked at the Tormek you have online, that is one nice sharpener too.

Yeah, this is my first real set of knives. I have owned cheap sets or just bought one or two good knives, but never a set. So hopefully I will be happy with them. I used them a bit last night and they are very comfortable, angle is good and very sharp. I am anxious to see how long that VG10 holds the sharp edge. That was the whole purpose of getting those knives was I wanted VG10 steel knives.

-=Jasen=-

My wife likes the pattern of blades on the Kershaw knives so that's where we're headed as we need replacement blades (I guess what they look like is as good a reason as any to buy them :)). We had been a Cutco family since my sister sold them in college but she didn't like the handles.

The Kershaws have treated me pretty well (I've got a small collection including the big one in the set you linked) - nice and sharp and fairly comfortable. With the new kitchen will come a complete set of them I fear.

Cuisinart

Anyone try Cuisinart's knives?

Amazon had a set at a ridiculous price. Probably because the handles are red (black sold out). Riveted, 6 steak knives, a steel, a block, two santoku, a cutting board, assorted chef's, paring, etc. One day special, so I gave it a shot. We'll see.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B8 ... 91-5116632

If you can believe it, I bought them at considerably less than the current price. If I hate them, it's not that much of an investment.

I have some Henkel knives and a block, and like them fine. They're not the high end ones - just ordinary kitchen knives. They sharpen up well.