cruz-in

Covered Porch and a KK

Good Evening All,

For those of you who celebrate it, I hope your Thanksgiving Holiday went well.

I have a question about operating a KK on a covered porch. As I move closer to owning a KK (yeah!), I am considering placing it on our covered porch. Has anyone done this? Have you had any problems (lots of smoke, lack of airflow, etc.)? Overall, how does it work?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Dan

Do you mean an enclosed patio type place, or just an overhanging roof? I don't know if I'd recommend it in a screen porch, where there is some decreased airflow - just as I wouldn't recommend putting any bbq there. If it's just an overhang, or sheltered area, do it. :) The only thing I would recommend is not putting it next to an open window. I find that the scent of cooking does waft in if my kitchen window is open. To minimize the smoke, put a drip pan under anything particularly drippy (pork butt, whole chicken, whole turkey). That will also keep the bitter "burning smoke" flavor from getting into your cooking. Happy clean wood smoke = good. Grease on the coals smoke = bad.

Caveat: I do not have this brand of ceramic cooker.

Your gonna get smut on the ceiling! When I had a grill on my porch, the ceiling was white, so it was pretty noticeable when it turned tan and brown. Though nothing a pressure washer would not take care of. If your porch roof is natural wood, it probably will not be noticeable. You could look into an exhaust system is it was an issue. Also think about the area where the smoke will escape from under the porch (overhangs), as they are gonna get smutty too over time. I moved my grills into the yard near the porch, and I still have to pressure wash the ceiling over my porch occasionally.

I see no other dangers involved other than watching it with the lid open as flames can get pretty high quick, be careful with draft door open until you get the new safety screen and making sure your porch decking can hold the loading. Also, if you were to put this in an enclosed porch, you could do so with an exhaust fan. I have seen plenty of installs with that configuration. Though I would recommend doing some research or consult a profession on air change over rates needed.

Whenever I move next, I am going to make sure I have a really large screened in back porch. I am hoping Dennis will be making big teak grilling centers by then. I would much rather have my grill under a porch as is sucks trying to grill in the rain :cry: . And no darn white ceiling in it either - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Sanny....you cracked me up with an image of a rehab full of attorneys. I can just see the counselors never getting a word in as all the attorneys argued over the semantics, the participants scheming the entire time how to generate billable hours for their efforts.

Which reminds me of a joke I heard recently. Why do attorneys own sailboats instead of motor boats? They can't figure out how to bill a client for the gas......Well you said the jokes had to be clean! :lol:

Sanny....you cracked me up with an image of a rehab full of attorneys. I can just see the counselors never getting a word in as all the attorneys argued over the semantics' date=' the participants scheming the entire time how to generate billable hours for their efforts.[/quote']No no, Samantha, nothing like that at all! First we practice wearing civilian clothes (slowly working up to colors that aren't black, grey, and navy). And we learn polite table conversation that doesn't include any latin phrases, and no handing out business cards. You're right, though, that some find it difficult not to fill out time sheets in tenth of hour increments. Those people get lots of times out, sitting with their faces to the corner. :smt100

Re: Covered Porch and a KK

Good Evening All,

For those of you who celebrate it, I hope your Thanksgiving Holiday went well.

I have a question about operating a KK on a covered porch. As I move closer to owning a KK (yeah!), I am considering placing it on our covered porch. Has anyone done this? Have you had any problems (lots of smoke, lack of airflow, etc.)? Overall, how does it work?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Dan

Covered porch is good. Mine is/are in a corner. :D . Here's a pic I just took in the dark. Can't see too good, but the top of the porch is knotty pine, the walls are stained pine logs. We have a few ceiling fans back there and one happens to be near enough to the kitchen window that when it's open the smoke doesn't come in (as bad). But we tend to keep it closed when it's a smoking anyways.

100_1609.jpg

Oh yeah, great picture - :roll: - must be really smoky as I cannot see nuttin'! :smt118 Got flash? :shock:

-=Jasen=-

Yeah, but even as obsured as the pic is, it would get him banned on some forums. The lighting is too romantic for tiled beauties... uh... which one is purty and which one is mannly... stop! stop! Too much information. Turn the light off and go back inside. :shock: