Sanny

Superbowl Que

Anyone have anything in particular going to impress the neighborhood? I just fired up the cooker and am going to do 2 butts. Costco, of course. With Dizzy Dust on one, and Raging River Rub on the other. Threw in some cherry chips of a sort for smoke at first.

It's 27 degrees (f) here, so kinda strange to be firing up the cooker outside. But sunny and pretty, and WAY worth the effort.

Oh yes, the obligatory guac, salsa, and chips, too (nope, not home made).

:)

Only thing is, I'm all by myself to enjoy them! No party - just me and the dog. What's wrong with that picture?? :(

Your cooker must be sending up the wrong kind of smoke signals. :)
Well, we'll see what sort of someones show up from the smells of cooking. It's got hours and hours left of smoking, so never know what tomorrow will bring. :) Friend always says porkfat is the way to a man's heart. She recommends feeding men some regularly (pulled pork, bacon, etc.). We'll see if she's right. lol.

Sanny,

It's a high of 2 today and tomorrow in southern Iowa - so no Q in these parts, but I do gaze longingly out the window at the KK snug in its KKomforter (okay - Johnnyboy Jammies....).

I could pull some brisket or chuck roll out of the freezer, it is amazing how good that stuff is!!

You say - you "threw in some cherry chips of a sort for smoke at first" - you make it seem like you doing as a requirement not as a commitment, are you not a smoke fan, or am I reading too much into it? I can't seem to get enough smoke in my butts.....

...I can't seem to get enough smoke in my butts.....
Snicker...

No no, I do like the smokey flavor of a pork butt. Cherry's not usually a butt smoking wood, is it? But that's what I had. It made a lovely deep smoke ring in the meat, too!

I had the heat going in the cooker for nearly an hour before I put the meat on. Checked it a couple times, and took a nap. It was in the 250 range for quite a while before that. Woke up and found the heat was up to 450! Yikes! Outa control butts! They smelled wonderful! So, closed assorted vents and dampers and let the cooker work its way down - very slowly, what with the saturated heat.

Two boneless butts of Costco size took about 5.5 hours to reach 190. Seemed fast, but I wasn't complaining. Higher heat than a traditional low and slow, for sure.

But they're pullable perfection! Dizzy rubs made a spectaculous bark around the outsides, there's a thick pink smoke ring, and then tender and delicious middle. One I'll pull for myself, and the other one I'll give to Dad. He's gotta take something to a supper this week, and this could be his answer.

Next time I'll try Dennis' vinegar recipe. That sounds great! I love vinegar - been known to eat a spoonful now and then. Gramma said it was healthy. :::shrug:::

Now I never said it was awful just that it doesn't do much for me. Well there is this one sort of pork that runs around here that is even better than venison but I don't get that very often' date=' wild boar.[/quote']

I agree Boar is the best game meat.... , better than rabbit/duck/deer/venison/bambi oh yeah definitely better than roo!!

Too bad we can't get it here, they have some silly food law that doesn't allow the sale of meat of animals that have consumed meat (as boars on occasion do eat meat.... :? )

Too bad we can't get it here' date=' they have some silly food law that doesn't allow the sale of meat of animals that have consumed meat (as boars on occasion do eat meat.... :? )[/quote']Yahwell, that would rule out most production raised meat in this country, what with all the junk "they" put in animal feed. :(

Never had wild boar that I know of. Not much "game" available in this area, really. I'm sure there are sport hunters that tag some in season, but most of it is hit with SUVs and left on the road.

Dad laughed at the pork butt. I put it on the seat of his car (wrapped, of course) before I went into church this morning. Gotta love keypad entries on some cars! :) He liked finding it when we came outside after. "OOOh, What's this??" :smt060

Yahwell, that would rule out most production raised meat in this country, what with all the junk "they" put in animal feed.

Sanny, although I am not in the dairy/cattle business, I live in an area where the business is significant and I have friends involved in the business. I have a friend who is a herd nutritionist for dairies , and explains how he prepares herd diets based on what is available in quantity (i.e. culls from fruit, etc), the nutritional needs of the herd, balanced by the grade (quality) of the herd. Do you eat a perfectly balanced diet or do you utilize food and/or health supplements? When you are sick, do you let nature take its course or do you medicate?

I have a neighbor that recently retired from a feed commodities company and he told me how they blend nutritional mixes with the grains, and none of it is junk or questionable material. It is all scientifically analyzed to provide the necessary nutritional values to achieve a quality product for higher returns. So what do you define as junk, and is that information based on personal knowledge or something written by a competitor of a production grade producer? If there was valid, conclusive, independent scientific evidence that the meat was not safe, it would be banned. There may be additives to the feed, but what proof is there that it is junk or dangerous? A competitor may allege that it is dangerous and try to create fear to motivate you to purchase their product. Fear based marketing is very effective in selling not only products, but newpapaers, magazines, books, and tv ads.

It is unfair to malign an entire industry with marketing strategies. The industrial manufacturing community considers a quality control factor of 97% or better to be excellent. We will never have a 100% safe food supply. However, the media loves to jump on a story that has tremendous emotional/fear appeal. One incident of salmonella in cantalope destoys the market for all. One incident of alar on an apple destroys the market. The media goes beyond providing an alert when this occurs, they create fear and they obsess because that sells.

The American consumer is very hypocritical when it comes to demanding quality and wage standards and then purchases the less expensive non-regulated (wage and quality) imported competition. We have many rules and safeguards for food production in the US, however there should be greater concerns focused on the quality and standards of IMPORTED foods. The Americans travel abroad and falsely assume what they consume is as safe as what they have in the US.

We live in a society driven by marketing, and a large percentage of the Organically Grown concepts are driven more by marketing than by fact. However, it sells lots of books and magazines and succeeds by creating fear. That is not to say there are not relevant thoughts, but that marketing is the driving the concept. It is interesting that oranically grown products cost more money in the store yet cost less money to produce. So why don't all the farmers take the more cost effective approach? That is a powerful example of marketing. Making lemonade out of lemons. It was organically grown spinach that had an e-coli problem recently. The contamination was not topical, but intra-cellular. It seems the organic fertilizer (i.e. natural animal waste) was incorporated into the plant itself. However, I find it interesting that the actual source of the problem did not get as much media coverage.

And lets not forget when RJ wanted to undermine the KK he resorted to fear based tactics and alleged there was asbestos in the material. He did not try to address design differences/improvements or customer service, because there wasn't a favorable comparison. Maketing is emotional, and we are all susceptible. Look how the personal injury lawyers market themselves, it has little to do with fact.

I apologize about the soap box, this one just hit a little close to home.

Samantha... You go Girl!!! Did I just say that?

OK not to fan the flames here but I think you're right on. Food is safer, more plentiful and less expensive here in the US than anywhere in the world. Even the ethnic food in the US in many ways are much better than "back in the homeland". If there's one thin we know how to do, it's growing/raising stuff. Just look at the mad cow/bird flu business. One would think it would be as prevalent in the US as elsewhere. Nope..

No offense to anyone who thinks otherwise...

Wooooaw! Remind me never to make fun of your cooking - hehe! :shock:

I think Sanny's comment was intended towards processing of deceased animals back in to the feed supply (google search turns up many related articles). I think they are imposing feed laws now to protect against that practice. It was indicated that was a major reason mad cow disease spread.

Junk also would be rightly named for growth hormones used in the industry to bring animals to slaughter faster. I know local folks whom own poultry farms (raising them for a major US poultry label); they have told me in no uncertain terms that growth hormones are used (there is a ridiculous rate of growth from biddie to bird).

I have no clues on organically grown critters; I am sure they are feed very nutritional food, ranged free and unstressed (until they are killed). But for the billions of other animals produced by large industry, I have seen first hand, it is production first! Is is all truly safe, who knows for sure, we may in another 50 years know something different. Am I scared to eat it, hell no! Give me some tasty critters to cook up. As far as I am concerned, we have a great, healthily supply of top notch foods.

Oh yeah, this somewhat ties the asbestos comment to the 'junk'. How many years was asbestos legal and used before we knew it was so bad for us? Better question, how many more years after we knew it was bad before something was done about it?

Anyway, I am not into the superbowl (yes, go ahead, I am expecting flames over that one - but my wife loves that fact), so I felt like shooting the bull (hehe) with you Samatha! I am also not fanning flames here, just do not think there was anything that derogatory meant. And also, everyone has there own opinions, fact or fiction. :smt109

-=Jasen=-

Oh yeah, I am also still mad people are commenting on animal feed and not my delicious ribs posted one page 1 of the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil::evil::evil::roll: And I really do not care what that pig was feed, he tasted great!!

-=Jasen=-

Well, there you go - right to the nub of it. :) Excellent looking ribs there, Deej. Good crusty bits on the outside, and I bet they have a terrific tooth to them. Costco had ribs yesterday, too, and I must say I was tempted... Next time.

:) mmm

...I think Sanny's comment was intended towards processing of deceased animals back in to the feed supply (google search turns up many related articles). I think they are imposing feed laws now to protect against that practice. It was indicated that was a major reason mad cow disease spread.
:shock: Uh huh! Didn't mean to step in it or anything. Just casual comment, not intended to offend. Yeesh. Me and Senator Biden this week, huh? Apologies to all I offended, and even those I didn't!