Sanny

Superbowl Que

I apologize if my response to Sanny was overboard, it was not intended to be anything other than another perspective. The true tone is absent when we just use words. Sanny, I know you are a well educated attorney and probably used to these types of conversation. Also, I find myself getting manipulated by marketing. We become more aware of it when it gets into a subject we are somewhat familiar with. To put this on another level, think of Costco, a giant retailer. How does one compete with the Costcos and Walmarts? They sell the same products at a lower price point. A competitor has to market on another level such as customer service, convenience, poor labor practices, or suggest that the products are seconds or discontinued items. I have found Costco to have good consistent quality meats. I would not be surprised at all if much of it comes from high production sources.

In regards to hormones, there are hormones present in our food and in our bodies. They are naturally occurring and we do use supplements for ourselves. The true question is what is the residual effect in the product. To say that they are present is one thing, but at what level, and is it truly detrimental, or are we being manipulated into thinking just the use of hormones is evil and bad.

Example, table grapes can be girdled to improve size and they can be sprayed with a growth hormone to achieve greater size. The timing from application to harvest will result in no detectable residual in the fruit. The chemical Lorsban is an approved chemical for pest control on oranges, a fresh fruit, however is illegal in any quantity on olives, a processed fruit. It has nothing to do at all with food safety, it means that the manufacturer has never applied to get approval for olives because the cost to get approved is too great for the potential sales. There is not sufficient acreage to justify the investment. However, if Lorsban being applied to oranges planted alongside an olive orchard has any drift, the olive crop can be rejected resulting in a total loss to the grower. However, the grower can hire an attorney to recoup the loss even though it is a logistic loss. The fruit is safely edible but no longer qualifies for marketing because an unapproved chemical was applied.

Anyway Deej, I have digressed so feel free to delete or relocate the post.

Anyway Deej, I have digressed so feel free to delete or relocate the post.

I think healthy non-flaming debate is good. This has actually been absent on the forum for a while now - so I like it! Plus, it is a good source to learn from - thanks!

I still thing the highlight of the thread was my ribs!!! :wink:

-=Jasen=-

Hello Fire Department, there is a major fire running wide over at the KomodoKamado forum in the Komodo General section. :)

Ok lets see here now. I have raised beef and I started the local California Certified Organic Growers chapter in my area. I used to ship organic almonds all over the world. I could talk about these things but lets get back to the subject at hand. :)

Time to stir DJ up again. :twisted:

Here are my ribs just starting out.

P2040571.JPG

Here they are when they are done.

P2040572.JPG

Now every year at work for our after harvest party we get Mo's BBQ to feed us and of course they prepare for us their ribs. Look here to see the awards that they have won. http://www.mosbbq.com/awards.htm Now I will eat that whole pan of venison ribs before I would eat one of theirs. I never said that the pork ribs that any of you make are just like their ribs but I have a hard time thinking that pork ribs could be any where near as good as venison.

Is there a football game today? :)

Ok I'm off to the happy camper section to make a post then down to the other meat section after that.

Those look good, though it looks like you are grillin' them and not smoking them as I see some serious fire under there? Nuttin wrong with that, just somewhat different. Do you ever cook the venison ribs low and slow? How about leaving the rack whole? Just curious, guess you like those tasty crispies on all sides? I used to eat lots of venison ribs growing up, just cannot get them as often anymore (do not hunt anymore). Usually when friends give me deer, they are already at the meat processor and for some reason, never give you ribs around here - not sure why.

-=Jasen=-

I am almost afraid to post this, and unleash a maelstrom, but I just have to ask! Sam, can you explain how this works:

It is interesting that organically grown products cost more money in the store yet cost less money to produce.

I would expect that the organic farms do not spend as much on things such as fertilizer, but do they not also produce much lower yield per acre than conventional production? I dont want to fuel an argument, but rather would just like your insight.

{ducks and runs for cover}

Now, my wholly unscientific opinion regarding "junk" of any sort in the food supply... 8)

The term junk is subjective. Personally, I try to buy meats that are not enhanced with 12% solution containing things I cannot even pronounce. Doing so, in my opinion would be adding "junk" to my food supply. Many others prefer the flexibility in preparation methods, and taste enhancements from the solutions. Is it harmful? Likely not immediately, probably not even in the long term, but there is an undeniable possibility that some of these substances, which are to some degree residual in various parts of our body can eventually be shown to cause harm.

I consider hormones in livestock similarly. I prefer that they were not present, but since I cant farm my own livestock, I have to go with whats available and trust/hope for the best.

It is interesting that organically grown products cost more money in the store yet cost less money to produce.

I would expect that the organic farms do not spend as much on things such as fertilizer, but do they not also produce much lower yield per acre than conventional production? I dont want to fuel an argument, but rather would just like your insight.

I can answer this one. There are some organically grown products where it does cost less to produce and the yields can be in the same range as conventionally grown crops. I know of several almond growers that were able to do this when I was in that business.

You really do ask a complex question because of all the variables that can be involved to grow a crop.

sanny: cherry wood is just fine for butts! use what you like! cherry is probably my favorite with butts, then pecan or maple, then hickory. your friend's advice concerning men and pork fat is very wise!

far as folks not liking pork, well, more for me then! no need to fight really. sure, it's unnatural, but...

deej, nice ribs!