PVPAUL

Help Planning my 1st roti Chicken cook

Looking for help on cooking my 1st roti chicken on the 32”KK. I have both the Octo forks and cradle so looking for opinions on this. I was thinking about going with the Octo forks for clean up simplicity etc. however if the bird turns out better in the cradle because your not puncturing and allowing the juices to run out I would do the cradle.  Do you typically do this indirect? I have been using the charcoal basket splitter and have the coals to the left....so based on this put the bird on the right with a basket / tray underneath to catch juices etc?  Also what temp would you recommend?  Note my bird is about 5lbs. For the recipe I was thinking about doing the Roadside Chicken recipe I found here on the forum. 

Thanks!

Some answers:

1. Don't worry about those forks: https://amazingribs.com/myth-stabbing-meat-thermometer-or-fork-will-drain-it-vital-juices-cutting-it-good-way-tell-if-it
  2. I run direct over the coals.
  3. 375-400 is my goto temp for roti chicken
  4. Roadside chicken is awesome, but will require you to open the lid periodically for applying the baste. Not a big deal.

Definitely pics!

I'm biased, but prefer the cradle (or standard rod/forks) over the OktoForks (just not a fan). I have a 23" which means that my charcoal basket is round, so I can orient the basket splitter in a front/back orientation, perpendicular to the roti shaft, so the chicken is rotating in/out of the fire zone. I'm in the 375F - 400F range on most chicken cooks to get a crispy skin. 

OK, So here are the pics as promised. The chicken turned out very good.....over shot the temp of the bird slightly but it was still very good. We liked the roadside Chicken recipe as well. The pic of the plated food also includes what we call Zucchini casserole. It’s basically sliced zucchini, tomatoes, onion with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. It’s a staple side dish that typically OD on by the end of summer!

Overall I liked the rotisserie cook and plan do do more of this!

Paul

E22597E2-60F5-4D37-B36B-9ABC5AD3793B.jpeg

7B6934C0-A765-401D-BAE6-53910601FB30.jpeg

• Like 4

Basket split on a roto chicken, looks good to me. Looks like you've been putting the 32 through the trials as evidence of it's dark belly. I don't see you leaving it behind when the time approaches, if you do, your gonna miss it. Love the roto, dislike the clean up, no matter how easy

Thank you all for your comments. So today I made my 1st successful Pizza’a on the KK. Two days ago I tried the King Arthur dough recipe and wasn’t happy with the results of the dough. It seemed dry and really didn’t raise much. I used fresh yeast and followed the directions very closely. After looking at the dough I just decided to toss it and go out for pizza. Back to the drawing board today and followed a recipe out of an older cook book I have called “The best recipe Grilling & Barbeque” from the editors of “cooks Illustrated”. The good news is that I was 100% happy with the results. I was able to get my KK up to 525F and hold it there for some time. Made 2 small 8” pizzas. First one was made with the 4 cheese garlic spread my wife buys locally for stuffing mushrooms. I then sautéed some mushrooms in EVOO and added some balsamic Vinegar along with some fresh rosemary from my herb garden. The second one was my take on a magherita (SP?)  fresh tomato, garlic, basil and parmesean cheese. Attached are some pics!

Best,

Paul

A498862A-8613-43FC-B0DF-B6F266B2717C.jpeg

1B682F89-6D24-44B2-9D45-5453CB433D4F.jpeg

FAC425AF-8301-4539-BB6A-0CEC0D97AAB9.jpeg

• Like 3