Jon B.

Never Saw This Cut of Meat Before

Was in my local Wegman's grocery store yesterday picking up some chuck roast for dinner and saw a "Special Today" sticker on a different hunk of meat.  Didn't remember ever seeing that sticker before........so of course I had to check it out.

Turns out it was labeled as a "Tenderloin Roast".  I had never seen that cut of meat in Wegman's before (or any where else).  Checked out the price and saw that the original price per pound was about the same as individual tenderloin steaks and then saw the price was reduced quite a bit.

I'm guessing that this is just a huge piece of tenderloin beef and should be the same as the individual ones that they sell as smaller portions?????  Also wonder why they marked them down so much?  It is not really a quick sale before the date runs out item.  Couldn't find a butcher to ask.

Anyone have experience with this cut of meat?   Thanks!

1273891745_TenderRoast.thumb.jpeg.f6073852e8645831aa103e7bc08c0754.jpeg     

1088041811_TenderRoast2.thumb.jpeg.f8313ad887693d0b5b72bfc5ae0accc5.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tekobo said:

If it looks like a tenderloin and tastes like a tenderloin my guess is that it is indeed a tenderloin and you got lucky.  Really lucky.  

Is it sliced out of a full packer cut of tenderloin????  Calling all butchers...................................................

Edited by Jon B.

18 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Is it sliced out of a full packer cut of tenderloin????  Calling all butchers...................................................

Tee hee.  I have actually butchered half a cow before and I recall there being different names for different parts of the tenderloin.  This link feels a bit elementary but it does refer to a tenderloin roast: https://www.ehow.com/list_7156751_different-cuts-beef-tenderloin.html 

• Thanks 1

Jon B. I've bought several whole tenderloins at my butcher that generally weigh around the 8 lb area at a cost of a little over $100 or say $12.99/lb. As in Tekebo's link above describing them as long and tubular hits the mark and they are also tied with butchers string when presented. That could be a portion of one from the wider end closer to the tail end of the steer. The narrower end in the opposite direction offers the filet. I haven't visited Wegman's since my butcher provides a better than competitive price point and tenderloin is one meat I've found you really can't miss at.

• Thanks 1