ThreeDJ16

High Temp Techniques!

Well, thought it was long overdue that we started up a discussion on high temps. Everyone has different methods and ideas, so figured it would cool to have folks discuss there techniques so noobs could pick there own path. Really wanted some nice pics, but alas, I am no good with the camera. Decided it would be better to get a discussion started without pics than to keep waiting.

Pretty much the way I cook anything at high temps is using the sear grill 100%, lid open entire time and control flames using the lower draft door. Would not be cooking chicken or fish this way as it is doubtful many people cook those meats at 800-1000 degrees. But for any steaks or pork chops it works out great.

To start with, get enough charcoal going to cover the space needed on the sear grill for cooking. At this point the lower turn knob is closed (so I don't forget later when trying to control flames), but the lower draft door is wide open. With the section of grill grate needed engulfed in flame, it is time to lay on the meat (with really long tongs or really quick hands... recommend the first). Depending on the thickness of the cut and the tendency for the meat to burn (fat, marinade type, etc), I decide on a 60 or 90 second rotation. Once decided, it is time to get turning. The pattern used is 60-90 secs, flip, 60-90 secs, flip & rotate 90 degrees, 60-90 last flip and completely shut the bottom damper. The 60-90 secs on that last flip is usually the amount of time it takes for the roaring flames to calm to really nice coals. And yes, even with the lid wide open. Of course if this is a ribeye or something fatty, and if you keep moving it, the fat will fall on the coals and flare up. But otherwise all you do now is keep the meat over the very hot glowing coals till it is done to your liking. Usually it is perfect to me at this point. If you have two different size or thickness cuts, you can station the items done first around perimeter where the fire has not spread. Or park them on your vegee grill... :Dhttp://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... c&start=45

Some people dwell their steaks with the lid shut after the sear, but to me, a lot of liquid comes out of the steak during the dwell. When mine hits the plate, the fat is still crispy and there is plenty of juice on the inside.

OK, lets hear your method! This way the folks new to KK can pick the methods that suit them the best! Primemeats, really curious to hear yours. You cook using the sear/upper in the upper position..right?

-=Jasen=-

I like it hot, hot, hot!

fire2b1cde2lh5.jpg

Maybe I'll be brave & try for 1000. Does that break the Tel tru?

If I try 1000, will my grill look like your picture?

With my technique you cook with the lid open...so no Tel-Tru involved. Your cooking so quick, the grill does not even get heat soaked....still cool to the touch on the outside. But that is the beauty, quick up to the temp, shut it all down and it cools quick too (since it did not get heat soaked). Uses little charcoal too.

The 800-1000 is just an estimate of what cooking in the flames maybe....it is probably hotter. My infrared thermometer testing on the grate doesn't go high enough to measure....hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Hmm, like the sounds of DJ's method...

I use jackies method, i.e. let it come up to temp in the dome (to 700) and place the steaks on the lower grill for a fast cook (usually only turning once?) 3 minutes 1 side and 2 minutes the other (the steaks here are NOT 1 inch thick!).

Usually pretty rare/blue the way I like it....

Reality Flash

I remember that when trying to measure searing temps my infrared thermometer that maxed out at 932ºf did so at only 600ºf dome temp.

Therefore I'm confidant that 700-750ºf dome is way over 1,100ºf and is much more dangerous than most people think. And NEVER forget that a flash back WILL HAPPEN when closing the lid for a while at these temps. I got one the other day cooking pizza at only 600º. I completely forget about burping the lip opened it up to stick in pizza number 3 and whoomp! Did not hurt me but sure scared the little ones..

:eek::eek:

Re: Reality Flash

I remember that when trying to measure searing temps my infrared thermometer that maxed out at 932ºf did so at only 600ºf dome temp.

Therefore I'm confidant that 700-750ºf dome is way over 1,100ºf and is much more dangerous than most people think. And NEVER forget that a flash back WILL HAPPEN when closing the lid for a while at these temps. I got one the other day cooking pizza at only 600º. I completely forget about burping the lip opened it up to stick in pizza number 3 and whoomp! Did not hurt me but sure scared the little ones..

:eek::eek:

But you gotta admit, it is cool to do!

-=Jasen=-

I light a bit of coal and get that going to a full glow, then I fill the basket and remove the draft door and fully open the dome. Then I wait, depending on the wind I will turn the cooker into it as a natural bellow and voila, >1000K temps are easily achieved.

I rarely cook like that though and usually sear my steaks at 800 dome temp. I always only use the upper grill since I still get a great sear and allows the heat to penetrate my thick cuts of meat.

This is the result. :eek:

steaki.jpg

Re: Reality Flash

But you gotta admit, it is cool to do!

-=Jasen=-

Yah, real funny til someone loses an eyebrow.... :shock:

:blob6: I tend not to stick my head over it when doing it intentionally. hehe

-=Jasen=-

“It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.â€

Bill Hicks quotes (American Comedian, b.1961)

Thanks! They were really delicious. The picture shows a strip loin I cut in half and the steak in the background is a head roast I cut from a whole tenderloin. Both were phenomenal.

I usually get the K to 800f, sear the steaks on each side (sorry, no times since it varies with steak thickness) and then drop the temp down to 500 or so and let the heat penetrate to cook the interior. I use the top grill, not the sear grill.