Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Komodo Kamado

Register now to gain access to all of our features, ask queries, discuss and lot's more!

Click here to Register!

mtrejo1

Half Grate

17 posts in this topic

Hi Dennis,

Have you thought about a half grate, similar to Kamado Joe's divide and conquer setup, that would allow indirect cooking on an upper grate and searing on the lower grate. If so, I'd definitely be up for buying something like I've attached in the picture below.

post-494-0-90099000-1439052590_thumb.jpg

The setup like in the photo above (two zones) can be created on all KK grills using the basket splitter and cooking on the lower grill.  

The 32" Big bad come standard with a beefy 3/8" SS half main grill for two levels of direct heat.. This would be using the basket splitter at 50% closed

post-2-0-03186700-1439152853_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Yeah, there isn't much in the way of accessories that Dennis hasn't thought of already!  :notworthy:

1 person likes this

Thanks Dennis. Is there a half grate available for the 23" too or is it only available on the BB 32"?

Thanks Dennis. Is there a half grate available for the 23" too or is it only available on the BB 32"?

I'm not sure there is really access to work under it on the 23"..  Maybe a quarter grill or 30% would work.. but outside of tossing a few ears of corn on it not sure if it makes sense..  I'll toss some cardboard in there and play with it..

very interesting.... I just posted about 2 zone cooking and a half grill.  I would be interested... eventually lol

Hi Dennis.

I wouldn't necessarily cook under the half grate. I'd roast either vegetables or chicken on the top half grate. Then grill steak on the exposed half of the bottom grill. You might be right that there isn't enough space make it worthwhile though

It's been some time back. Wasn't it fire monkey who was selling little quarter grates? They sat on top of one of the other grates. I have one but have not used it yet.

Yep, Dennis is The Man, he does think things through.

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2895.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

2 people like this

You were busy,  pizzas, pie and roast. Hard not to cook on anything but the KK. :) 

3 people like this

Tomorrow is a turkey on the rotisserie, a first try with that device.   1/2 firebox with the bird over the cooler side.

Edited by FotonDrv-Stephen
1 person likes this

Since it is your first it might be a good idea to do a trial run before you start the fire or maybe you already have.

1 person likes this

Yep, spun it around with all the things in place, except the bird.  Tomorrow I spin the bird before the fire is lit.  I sure wish there was a better solution for mounting the motor.  I have a few idea that need some paper to draw it for Dennis to see what he thinks.  Probably he will say, "Tried it" but it is worth a shot because mounting the motor is a PITA.

On 12/25/2016 at 6:26 PM, MacKenzie said:

Since it is your first it might be a good idea to do a trial run before you start the fire or maybe you already have. emoji4.png

Did it.