mguerra

Baharat burgers indirect

I have two things to talk about here, a technique, and a spice. We have previously discussed getting spices from World Spice in Seattle and they have a spice there called Baharat. It is a Middle Eastern thing and it goes great with just about any meat. I put a boatload of it into some ground beef and folded it in very well, made some patties, doused the top of them heavily with granulated garlic and fresh cracked pepper. I cooked them indirect, 350-400 degrees, never flipping them. I used Royal Oak lump with a good bit of Dennis' coffee wood. So the spice and the coffee wood makes them super flavorful, of course. And cooking them indirect gets you a sort of smoky sous vide effect. Finish temp was 160. I talked about this before for cooking steaks. You get a longer, slower, smokier cook indirect. Try it.

Great tip, Doc! Glad to see you posting again!

Will have to check out Baharat. I'm a big fan of Berbere and Ras El Hanout spice blends. In fact, hosted a dinner party Saturday night and the theme was Ethiopian, so I made Doro Wat, a chicken stew with lots of Berbere in it. Crazy spicy and I'm a chilehead! 

Tony you get the spices from World Spice?

I can cook faster at a higher heat when cooking indirect. I cook most steaks, burgers, roasts, briskest, chicken, really everything at 300-400 when cooking indirect. Except pork butts. They do come out better cooked in the 225-275 range. In the past I have made a big deal about not needing precise temperature control in the KK. It's a fact, you do not need tight control. Early on I was a freak for tight control, y'all remember my penchant for Gurus and Stokers. I never use them anymore. I remember guys saying all you need is to learn your vents. I thought they were boneheads for not taking advantage of the techy control units. I HAD to have them. So now I have two Stokers and a Guru that just sit and take up space. Those boneheads were right. I was wrong. If you can cook the best brisket ever in four hours just using vents, you don't need a controller, and there's no need to ever do an overnighter again. Except for maybe a pork butt, or cooker full of them.

Burgers sound yummy but I'll confess I like mine cooked direct at 500*+ or CI seared. Might have to give your method a try.

As for controllers - never had one even with my crappy Akorn which could be a bear to maintain long term steady temp. Compared to that the KK is a walk in the park. It goes 8+ hours unattended during the day so what's the difference between day and night. I leave the house for hours during the day with it cruising Low-n-slow. Doubt I'll ever feel the need for a controller unless the tech junkie inside me just has to have a fix.