Pequod

How Many, What Size, Where/How to Deploy?

On July 18, 2016 at 4:55 PM, bosco said:

I read your post yesterday and now this one.  So from what I understand you had several, downgraded to two cookers and were content but love the Kamado, want to get rid of the monster you have and upgrade from a KJ.

So going forward you would likely need multiple cookers.  I had 3 Kamado joes, then 6 plus a few other cookers.  

Got the KKs and got rid of everything else

2 is the perfect number.  

For you it sounds like you cook in volume often

I think a 19 and 23 is awesome but not what you need.  I like the 23 x2 combo and in fact ordered it thinking it would be great sharing accessories.  But still based on what I have read, this is not for you.   32 x2 is a ton of grill and they both would heat up at the same speed and use a bit more lump.

Leading me to believe that the 23 and 32 combo may in fact be perfect combo.  You are happy with what you currently have, and the 23 will be like the big joe but with two extra levels of grilling.  The 32 will replicate you larger smoker.  

You can have the 23 your daily driver so to speak to cover everything from small smoke cooks to grilling for the family.  The 32 is there for the heavy duty loads for larger cooks.  

I love my 23 and 32 combo and very happy that Dennis talked me into it.

I personally would order them together for a few reasons.  First you can get matching KKs so the tile is close.  Second you pay less for delivery.  

As for movement, agreed, a few pieces of plywood and a few buddies and those suckers will move without issue.  

My vote is a 23 and 32 combo!  I am bias, but based on what I am hearing from you that is your best combo

_DSC1381.JPG

@bosco, can you tell me about your cabinet? I've seen others recommend stainless steel tops for their side tables. Is that a stainless top on the cabinet as well? How do you cover the cabinet and KK's between uses? Do you have 1 (or 2? or 3?) Sunbrella covers?

Given the location for my future KK(s), I think a cabinet of some sort will be likely. Getting closer to sorting things out. Who had September in the pool?

Dr. bosco Kk. Ph.D. Picked end of August for this purchase so don't disappoint.  

The cabinet is out of this world.  Great quality and over enginered like everything else.  Dennis added a gorgeous brush stainless insert.  

The cabinet is 4' in length and I had two drawers added for smaller items.  The bottom is an open cavity and it is used to store my deflectors, and spare grates, rotisserie etc.  Lots of room as the cabinet is deep.  

Dennis made me matchi stainless side tables, a left for the 23 and a right for the 32.  

When you order your cabinet keep in mind that you appear to be heading towards the 23/32 combo.  I would make everything in one purchase of you can swing it to save on shipping, however, if not possible design the cabinet with the thought of your second one.  

My quarky OCD made me want the 23 on the left and 32 on the right for small to large and Dennis accommodated.  

My cover was made by Dennis as well. What they did was make three covers and stitched them all together.  I keep a 3/4" space between the KK and the shelf top so the panels can slide down in between.  

Mid you were to go same setup as mine get the roti for the 32 as the motor has to sit on the right.  The 23 you will need to roll it away from the table each time you want to spin. 

• Like 3

HalfSmoke, the bosco setup is awesome lol!

I just wanted to throw something at you.  I know that you are considering this purchase, and just wanted to throw out this idea.  

If you are considering matching KKs and a custom table or even mixed KK choices and a custom table you may want to get this purchase started sooner rather than later.  It can take some time as at least the table will be coming from Indo and likely the KKs if you are trying to get matching gear.  I ordered last August and had a few hiccups leading to a December delivery.  Shipping to the US is a lot less painful but still takes approx. a month to get over to the US.  

I wish that I would have placed the order sooner, so that I could have received the grill earlier in the year.  Just thought that I would throw that at you 

• Like 1

I too loved the olive gold, however, some would argue that I am a tad OCD.  Dennis had a 23 and a 32 in California but couldn't guarantee the tile would be close enough.  

I also wanted no gas port on my 23". 

So when I ordered Dennis had no spare olive gold, however, he had harvest gold.  I wasn't sure about it and deliberated between that and the Colbolt blue.  

5698k - Robert said go with what caught your eye first... So I gave it a go with the pebble.  

When it arrived here I was blown away by the tile choice.  I was so pleased with it.  

I bet your order is in before the end of this month!

Think bosco has you in his web HalfSmoke lol if life affords you the opportunity and you love kamados go for it .when I seen boscos the pebbles really got me looking on the KK site there were a couple of squares I liked but the pebbles stood out for me .next I'm on the forum then I'm posting it's on its way it's that quick amazing lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

Aussie I always tried to justify the cookers I had and always argued that the KK was too flashy and expensive.  

Then after seeing a few on the guru, I would visit the KK website once and a while and say why would people spend that kind of money.  

i seem to remember reading a post in the KK sub forum and it was about how a KK cooks better.  I thought total BS.  

I went to the site again and started viewing the different tiles and sizes.  I started viewing daily, then hourly and Robert messaged me to join the zkK forum.  

Next thing I know I'm a full blown addict and getting rid of my old cookers. 

All that I will say about KK is that if you like Kamado cooking.... It is the best

Nothing else that you can say.  It is totally worth the investment 

• Like 2

Bosco keeps reading my mind! No doubt I'm being mind controlled! :-D

That's exactly where I am right now...thinking through that range of options from:

Low end: add a KK to my existing lineup 

High end: the full bosco 

My gut says that going low will result in my incrementally crawling to the high end and dumping my existing lineup anyway. Movement soon either way I hope.

...and it will be pebble. Definitely pebble. 

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

My gut says that going low will result in my incrementally crawling to the high end and dumping my existing lineup anyway. Movement soon either way I hope.

...and it will be pebble. Definitely pebble. 

Truer words were never spoken. :) 

11 minutes ago, 5698k said:

NO ONE can resist the POWER of the DARK SIDE of THE FORCE!! Do not try to resist, it will only cause more agony! Embrace the dark side, and soon you will join the KK Jedi Knights!!

Rob

Lol the getting the bosco setup is more then joining the dark side 

It wont be long that for sure

Edited by Stile88