KevinD

Coffee Serendipity?

For freshness sake,you really might want to consider home roasting. Compared to a KK it is a small investment, it is easy, and I cannot emphasize the difference that freshness makes. For example, when I pull an espresso shot with beans roasted 48 hours previously, the amount of crema almost doubles what a typical store bought bag of coffee produces. Even when I attempted to buy specialty coffees,I could not get them nearly that fresh(maybe it's gotten easier the last few years). Coffee is something I LOVE and something I consume everyday. You might want to think about it. I have never regretted buying my coffee roaster.

OK I've only casually looked over this thread but.....

A fellow KK'r sent me a bag of Counter Culture beans - Sipacapa - San Marcos, Guatemala. Roast date 7/21

So do I store it in the freezer? Should I vacuum seal a few different pouches of it? We'll probably go through that size bag in 2 weeks.

TY Nuprin can't wait to try a cup tonight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't have experience with that bean but for maximum flavor/taste its dependent upon when the roasted bean peaks after being roasted.   So if this bean peaks in 14-days, just as an example, ideally you'd vacuum seal beans in 2-4 day lots, near the bean's post roast peak.    

To keep it simple for this bag maybe just vac seal 1/2 of the beans and into the freezer...and call it a day.   As you drink the coffee/espresso from these beans, assuming you can be consistent each day with how you make the coffee/espresso, note the flavor differences as the bean ages.  

Dan

• Like 1

A fellow KK'r sent me a bag of Counter Culture beans - Sipacapa - San Marcos, Guatemala. Roast date 7/21

So do I store it in the freezer? Should I vacuum seal a few different pouches of it? We'll probably go through that size bag in 2 weeks.

If you're planning on finishing it in the next two weeks, you probably don't need to freeze it. I just use a good, air tight bag clip or you can put it in a non transparent jar with a tight lid. That coffee is good to go within a few days of roast.

At this point it's a matter of getting your extraction correct. We like it about medium grind at a 16-1 water to coffee ratio, brew time of 4 minutes and filtered water temp at about 200f for manual pour/cone drip or automatic drip machine. If French pressing, go coarse on the grind, steep 4 minutes as well. Maybe 15-1 ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We have a lot of coffee roasters here in Perth the one I sometimes get direct is 5 seasons and comes in one of those resealable bags my fridge has a compartment above the freezer upside down fridge that sits at about 0 my coffee lasts for ages in there and remains fresh .just don't forget to add some good chocolate to make your mocha it's awesome

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

• Like 1

I know this is way too late, but I just went on a coffee tour and the strongly advised against freezing beans and recommended sealing if they weren't going to be consumed within 2 weeks. They may or may not have been experts. As for me, I pretty much never have coffee that lasts that long. My husband and I are both serious coffee addicts.
On another note...it appears you received coffee within 4 days of it being roasted from a comercial roaster? That is amazing to me. Do you know if this is common? If so I would probably look into trying more coffees to try and emulate.