Pequod

Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu

This is my Guru Member challenge cook for boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Let's face it. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are pretty bland, and also pretty easy to mess up. They rank barely above tofu on my list of things I like to grill. To make them work requires two things: 1) Flawless execution -- don't overcook them, or you'll be sorry, and 2) Something else. For #1, lots of folks like to sous vide to the perfect temp, then just flash them on the grill to get the grill marks. This is a grilling challenge, not swimming, so we're not going to go there. Assuming flawless execution on the grill, we're left with "something else". We can marinate 'em, rub 'em, immerse them in sauce, and we can look for flavor and texture combinations that send them off the charts. I went with the latter. Let's get started.

Here they are. Just an inch above tofu on the flavor scale:

IMG_1803.jpg

We flatten them a bit so that they're an even thickness throughout -- keeps those skinny ends from overcooking while waiting for the fat ends to finish.

IMG_1804.jpg

I have a secret seasoning blend. This is the only hint I'm giving you.

IMG_1805.jpg

Flattened and seasoned.

IMG_1806.jpg

The cheese says it has to stand for an hour. I hope I have it standing on the right end.

IMG_1807.jpg

Onto the lower grate of the KK with some lemon halves:

IMG_1809.jpg

Then topped with the cheese as it approaches temp.

IMG_1810.jpg

Melted:

IMG_1811.jpg

Then topped with prosciutto and arugula.

IMG_1813.jpg

Mission accomplished! [Insert Food Network celebrity voice here] The chicken was perfectly grilled and juicy, while the cheese added a buttery note. The saltiness of the prosciutto and peppery arugula accented by the acid from the lemon just sent it over the top. This dish may actually have me cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts again. Still not excited about tofu, though...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ckreef said:

Great rendition of chicken cordon Bleu. No hating on chicken breasts allowed - LOL - tofu, I'm a card carrying member of the Tofu Haters Club. 

I managed to spread a little hate on sous vide, chicken breasts, and tofu all in one post. A new record! I have no use for tofu. The other two have their place, but not my favorites to work with. 

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1