Shuley

A few more cooks

I've been doing a variety of cooks (as usual). Trying to get better at posting. I always seem to see something on here that gets me in the mood for something so hopefully I can do the same for someone else.

First, "Chicago style pizza" from ATK which I now know is not authentic because if the cornmeal. It's still a tasty pie....3c736f7df1b3334e2b01278f540a6e1d.jpga4c76d45605eff83d7841b7e02b9d826.jpg

Current favorite veg

cc4f465d19d23d476f7c75c1ac0360c5.jpg

Best salmon to date 00751eee6b66f2e5d2be32600616759d.jpg

Steak and spaghetti night. I learned the valuable lesson to never go below 1.5 inches in thickness. They were cooked the the right IT but I couldn't develop the crust in time to maintain that IT. I have 2+inch steaks that I am going to do an experiment on later this week5970af47cbfb2180b5292e3ac52029d6.jpg

I gave ckreef's cracker crust a whirl and I was surprised how much I liked it and how filling it was. It's not an imitation crust because it comes together so quickly, it's something all on its own. I'll definitely be doing it again. Family loved it9bd9d58b8d8f999001c5e6317a3be051.jpg

I smoked two corned beef points on Saturday. Turned out pretty well but you definitely can't taste the smoke as well as regular brisket. 0ebbd57158e0ea5a8c89423339af7d9b.jpg168222e4f809f8f22425ad4d62fc8cfe.jpg

I just realized that last plate looks a little sad. It was tasty and we had some delicious bakery bread with it as well.

• Like 4

The pizza and everything else look GREAT!

I know a lot of people who love the ATK recipe. Nothing wrong with that. I'd just call it "Deep Dish" and leave the "Chicago" off.

I'm on the hunt for a Papa Del's deep dish clone. There's a recipe at pizzamaking.com that I may give a go. Papa Del's is from another Deep Dish terroir about 2-1/2 hours south of Chicago, Champaign-Urbana, the home of the University of Illinois where I spent nine years of my life getting myself learnt (didn't take). Papa Del's is a thick, bready dough. Very distinctive and beloved by all Illini alumni. Heck, when I was recently asked by my old department to serve on the alumni board, I Couldn't help myself as I found myself asking the department head if Papa Del's was involved. He assured me it was, so I said, "Sign me up!" Anything for a great pizza...