Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tekobo

Dry Aging at Home

Oooh, now that's very exciting [mention=3378]Basher[/mention].  It will be interesting to see how your meat develops over time as you start to cross breed.  
My most recent purchase of (dead) cow was from a farm that is trying to deliver a "zero carbon" beef.  They manage the inputs and land in such a way as to offset the environmental impact of raising the cows.  The good news for me was that the meat tasted great too.  They are not carbon neutral yet but it is a good ambition. 

A motivating purpose for me is to bank carbon, and you need cattle or other ruminant animals to do this. Sequestering carbon into the soil by moving cattle on regularly can build carbon levels by up to 1.5% each year. This equates to tonnes of carbon being drawn from the atmosphere……. Plus access to good beef for bbq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

That sounds really interesting @Basher.  I must learn more about this.  When I first heard about the zero carbon cow I thought it was just a gimmick to assuage meat eaters' guilt.  It would be v good if it isn't a gimmick and does genuinely compensate for the impact of animal husbandry.  

Tekobo google regenerative farming, there’s heaps of information out there from science magazines to YouTubers.
Netflix has a couple of movies/ docos. Kiss the Ground.
Also watch Fantastic Fungi.
If you want a book, read, Call of the Reed Warbler has been very inspiring.
Basically all plants sequester carbon into the soil through photosynthesis. Well managed grazing land builds healthy diverse pastures that sequester more carbon and build a healthier soil and healthy rhizome. Once the rhizome is active with beneficial microbes, and the grazing is managed, it’s a regenerating sustainable system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1