PaulW

Thinking about a 22 TT

1 hour ago, Wingman505 said:

I just end up using bbq gloves and the handles.  I see how they could be handy for the half grate for sure.

That’s a very good point. I used mine while wearing gloves rated for 1000 degrees.  Guess I could have just grabbed it with my hands.

image.gif.fe661566d3319462f12c66ac78bdd3ae.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paul I have the spit and the cradle. I thought the cradle would be good to jam larger cooks in, however, I’ve never used the cradle. Many times the spit.

Others have said the cradle is tough to clean. I can see how it would be tougher. It would into my dishwasher afterwards, if I used it, so I don’t see cleaning it as a problem.

Here is my grate storage solution.

f2d4094e8c80a5990639062ff3deda09.jpg

Two large decorative iron hooks and can easily play musical chairs with them to uncover the desired grate.

282a7ca06724438030d188668cc2bf0a.jpg

I thought fishing them in and out of drawers would be a pain.

Those iron geckos have a tail( hook) that stands out just short of 2 inches and can hold 4 grates.

b114efaff1829af7315190db8ea0ff31.jpg

The moose could do the same....... but then where could I rest while I cook?

Mascots everywhere now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Didn't buy the grate grabbers, I have gloves. Never missed having them. More small, loose gear to get lost in the deck cabinet.

I have a large rubber tub for my charcoal. That's where I keep the 2nd basket. I can't overstate how nice it is to just swap the 2 baskets back/forth - easy, peasy. 

I have the spit rod with both forks and basket. I have the cradle. And, I have OctoForks. They are the only thing that I DON'T use much. Food falls off them too easily unless you secure it somehow, which defeats the purpose. The tines are very sharp and I've sliced several fingers sliding food on/off them. One of my few regret purchases for the KK. YMMV

As far as cleaning the cradle, baskets, forks - PBW (Powdered Brewers Wash). I put the gear in a 5 gal bucket, mixed up the PBW (1 TB/gal) and submerge the pieces and let them soak for a few hours/overnight. Take them out, rinse with water, wipe down with a paper towel or sponge - done! The cradle will stick up above the solution in a 5 gal bucket - so after a few hours soak, I take it out and rinse/wipe the submerged section, then flip it over and dunk the other end - Rinse, Repeat!

• Like 1

@tony b Thanks for the tip on the PBW, I'll definitely look into that if the dishwasher doesn't cut it!

@Basher Wow, what an amazing set up you've got there.  Looks like the ultimate party yard, and with room for social distancing too. I'll need to find a mascot theme for my hooks! 

• Like 1

As a contrarian on the grate grabber issue, I use mine a lot. I also use gloves but sometimes the grate handles are too close to the interior wall of my 23 to get a good grasp on it, particularly with precious meat on the grate. 

As an esthetic piece of gear, the grate grabbers are quite fetching as well.

• Like 4

As a counter contrarian (:smt043), I've always wondered how stable it is picking up grates like that if there's food on them. Gotta pick the right lift points or your center of balance is off and you could lose "precious meat" if it tips on you. Also, there's a chance that if it tips away from you, that you could burn your forearms on the hot grate, as I don't see how you can use the grabbers with thick insulated gloves on??

To solve your stated problem, if you're using the main grate, flip up the front piece and slide your gloves underneath to pick the grate up that way rather than by the handles. Never had a problem lifting a grate that way. Similarly for the lower grate, just use the opening at the front to slide your gloved hands in to lift. 

• Like 1