lemisfits

DOUBLE BOTTOM DRIP PAN

If you want to catch drippings, use the drip pan that will come with your KK

Have a picture of the one that comes with it? Is it designed to keep drippings from burning? Is the included one sized differently for each grill?

Also I read that thread about the deflector. I’m not a huge deflector fan, they trap heat and make the grill less fuel efficient. The foil is a great idea, I was thinking a drip pan could accomplish the same thing while also catching drippings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest this is the 23” and double drip tray- dirty basket first
f8ec9bd791ae5b64d76396ef272f8943.jpg
With drip tray on basket handles
1e85c46df4141e82f8296fed615ac4ad.jpg
There’s easily an inch+ around all edges.
This is the tray on the main grate.
6c93120349d8af3ccff250956ab4ab2f.jpg
With the top grate resting on the handles... above the usual main grate and a snug fit with the lid shut.
9f13adaeb772aa8286e70686dc2c6706.jpg
The grates remains stable at this setting.
Flip the top grate and it looks like this
9f0a69ccaa2380a6fb794326b4909226.jpg
And a slightly better fit with the lid shit.
Hopefully this helps show the flexibility of the whole KK set up.
There is a middle grate- you can see the ceramic lip it sits on in the first and second photo, however, the drip pan doesn’t sit flush on this level, they are about the same size and handles get in the way- I don’t see this as a problem given the flexibility at other levels.

• Like 2

Forest this is the 23” and double drip tray
Hopefully this helps show the flexibility of the whole KK set up.

This was extremely helpful, thanks! If I decide to spend the money on one I am going to size down for better airflow and for better fitment on the middle grate.

So @Forrest, I used to wonder if this forum was just one great big cult dedicated to a hippy guy called Dennis.  I am now a believer and I can't help but say - experiment but don't mess with the fundamentals.  Dennis knows his grills and his design.  He will have sized the double drip pan so that it works well for the size KK that it is in.  Air flow will happen efficiently around the sides of your pan and up and out through the chimney.  Others will tell you how the air flows and where the eddies are.  I will just say -  believe.  

• Like 5

I’m sure the drip pan allows for enough airflow, especially if you don’t place it directly over the firebox. I think smaller size will fit my needs better though. I talked with Dennis just barely and sent my official order over with the 16” Lil’ Brawny Double Bottom Drip Pan on my order.

• Like 1

Keep us updated

I will share each part of the journey! Now I’m second guessing it and think I might just get the standard 21” double bottom drip pan. I sent an email asking Dennis if it can be made to fit the middle grate below the main grate. I can’t make up my mind lol.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Forrest said:

Now I’m second guessing it and think I might just get the standard 21” double bottom drip pan.

Nooo.  In this case, don't second guess yourself.  If you really think the 16" pan is better for your needs then get it.  I like the fact that you know what you want.  We all do. Want.  Everything. You may well get the larger pan down the line if you find you really need it.  

• Like 2

Well I ended up switching to the 21" pan after Dennis told me they are made to fit the middle grate below the main grate, I think there will be plenty of free air movement up into the dome as long as I fire the grill up and let the dome heat soak before installing the drip pan. I was thinking about it and the drip pan probably doesn't really trap any more air below it then a big piece of meat like a brisket would. I think the biggest issue is trapping heat under deflectors down at the fire box especially when you are first firing it up. Your dome can be artificially cooler then the raging fire you have trapped in the fire box, this can cause you to eventually far overshoot your temp and use way too much airflow reducing performance. Just my 2c.

Edited by Forrest

I think you will quickly notice the difference between how your new KK operates and your experience with other kamados. I suspect your concern with heat entrapment under the drip pan will eliminated once you use it. These really are superb units. 

• Like 2