lemisfits

DOUBLE BOTTOM DRIP PAN

I think it may be my biggest regret that I didn't get one with my 23 (other than not getting a 32 of course).  Having one the shape of the KK would be very beneficial for a lot of different applications, so I'll probably end up getting one sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

I'm like Pequod, rarely use mine. Almost regret buying it for as little as I use it - once a year for the Turkey Day meal to catch the yummy drippings for the gravy. Money could have gone to other toys. Some folks like to use it on their pizza cooks. Haven't tried that yet. Maybe it will cause me to change my opinion (and it's just that) on the usefulness of the double lined drip pan. YMMV

• Like 1

I use it. Load it with root vegetables and 1/2 inch of water with a few herbs and spices under your roti cooks and low n slow.
The veges rock and with watered cooks it’s an easy clean.
I’ve tried this once with an oil base under a roti cook and it was too hot. Over did the veges.
As expected, the engineering of this double pan is excellent and unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On 6/14/2020 at 3:52 PM, Basher said:

I use it. Load it with root vegetables and 1/2 inch of water with a few herbs and spices under your roti cooks and low n slow.
The veges rock and with watered cooks it’s an easy clean.
I’ve tried this once with an oil base under a roti cook and it was too hot. Over did the veges.
As expected, the engineering of this double pan is excellent and unique.

This has inspired me to use mine in this manner as well as a water pan during brisket and pork shoulder cooks.  It really is the perfect heat deflector as it’s shape matches the KK so well.  Do you all use water pans during long cooks?  I did during my first brisket on the KK and water was literally dripping from the top cap.  It was crazy.  I don’t know how necessary it was on a KK, but I figured it couldn’t hurt.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 4:54 PM, MacKenzie said:

I use mine as a heat deflector under the main grate when doing a pizza that is on the upper grate, it allows the topping to cook more without burning the bottom crust and I also use it to collect the drippings when roasting a chicken. :) 

Do you use a steel or stone when making pizza?  I was thinking I should use the pan as a deflector when using the steel, but not the stone?  I haven’t received my steel yet as they’re on back order.

• Like 1

Wingman most say the water pan is not required for KK cooking due to low air flow required to hold its temperature- once heated up.
However, I have a limited understanding of wet bulb temperatures and have no doubt that a humid cooking environment produces a juicier cook.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wingman505 said:

Do you all use water pans during long cooks?

NEVER! :smt018

The only time it makes sense to me is if you're trying to catch the drippings for gravy and don't want them to burn. That was the genesis of the double-bottom drip pan - to preclude the need for water to prevent burning the yummy drippings for the gravy (primarily a Turkey Day thing for me.)

• Like 1

OK, in all honesty, there is ONE KK cook where a water pan is a good idea - baking bread. I'm not a big bread baker, so I almost forgot that those on here who are awesome bakers use a very hot cast iron pan, full of chain links, and at the beginning of their bake, toss water into the pan to create a steam bath, trying to simulate commercial bread ovens.

But, for any meat cook - NEVER! 

• Like 2

Hmm. I'm wondering if I should have added the double bottom pan to my order - if only to catch the drippings.

The rest is a story as to why I'd care that much about brisket drippings...

In the Lake Texoma area along the TX/OK border, just north of the border in Colbert, there was a BBQ joint called P-O Sams. It was mythical to me as a kid from my dad's stories of growing up and eating there in his early adulthood. They'd sell beer to minors and he and his friends frequently went there on weekends for dinner and a beer.

When I was a kid P-O was re-opened by Archie. In this tiny area of the world is a recipe for BBQ gravy invented by P-O. Part of its base is drippings, then additional liquid (broth/water/whatever), flour, and a boat load of spices like cayenne, S&P, paprika, etc. nobody knows the actual recipe and anything you get today that is even close is only someone's guesstimate.

Periodically roadside BBQ stands will open and have gravy on the menu, but it is only ordered by people who know WTH they are looking at on the menu.

It is an insanely delicious gravy poured over brisket, ribs, chicken, my shoe, your forearm, etc. Smokey, spice, rich....pure f'ing liquid gold.

When I was 20 a guy in my home town opened a bbq trailer and served the gravy. Over multiple beers one evening he told me "Adam - any idiot can smoke a brisket - it takes a GD genius to make this gravy" :) If he's out of prison for becoming a meth head/dealer I need to see if he'll part w/the recipe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Adam Ag 98 said:

The rest is a story as to why I'd care that much about brisket drippings...

As a kid I worked a summer at Schaller's burger restaurant on the Lake Ontario shore near Rochester, NY. They really did serve great classic burgers. There were nights I was the only one working who wasn't tripping on psilocybin. We'd draw straws for who got to turn on the machine that chopped 50 onions at once. Everyone else stood by to carry the unlucky one into a walk-in freezer, where staring up at the fan for twenty seconds restored some sight to one's eyes. Man did that sting! Impressive machine, though...

Our hot sauce was legendary. To first approximation it was just grease. The secret recipe was actually to take every mistake burger that week, and cook it down. In a pot of grease, of course. You'd swear your napkin was the best burger you'd ever had, with this sauce on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I was hoping for a reopening of the double drip pan debate when I saw these posts.  I have ordered a double drip pan for my new 23 and one for my new 32.  Looking at the pros and cons, the pros seems to be that I will indeed be able to collect drippings for sauces, roast vegetables, shield pizzas and cook paella in them.  Another pro that I am hoping for is that I can start off with a layer of water in the bottom and this will help to stop the fat from fatty roast like pork or duck from smoking quite so much.  Has any one used the double drip pan this way?  The main con is going to be finding space for all the accessories and grates that will come with 3 KKs, including two great big double drip pans.  I think I can live with that if they bring the benefits I am hoping for.

@Adam Ag 98, I just made something called a "mother sauce" and it helped me make some insanely good brisket burnt ends this week.  The recipe for the mother sauce is here if you want to give it a go: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/09/perfect-pickle-sauce-recipe-pitt-cue-co or you could buy their really good book: https://www.amazon.com/Pitt-Cue-Co-Tom-Adams-ebook/dp/B00GU2RJR4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2QSE23K3LR5ZY&dchild=1&keywords=pitt+cue+cookbook&qid=1598858757&sprefix=pitt+cue+co%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-1  I have the metric UK version and I don't know if this  version from US amazon works in F and cups etc.  I find cup measures very annoying but I guess you US folk might find metric equally irritating.  Do post your recipe if/when you track down your jailbird!

• Like 4

On 8/31/2020 at 2:29 AM, tekobo said:

@Adam Ag 98, I just made something called a "mother sauce" and it helped me make some insanely good brisket burnt ends this week.  The recipe for the mother sauce is here if you want to give it a go: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/09/perfect-pickle-sauce-recipe-pitt-cue-co or you could buy their really good book: https://www.amazon.com/Pitt-Cue-Co-Tom-Adams-ebook/dp/B00GU2RJR4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2QSE23K3LR5ZY&dchild=1&keywords=pitt+cue+cookbook&qid=1598858757&sprefix=pitt+cue+co%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-1  I have the metric UK version and I don't know if this  version from US amazon works in F and cups etc.  I find cup measures very annoying but I guess you US folk might find metric equally irritating.  Do post your recipe if/when you track down your jailbird!

I'll definitely try this one, thanks! Once I get close enough to my 'texoma gravy' to print I'll share the details.

• Like 2

My standard line is that if you don't use your drippings for Au Jus or gravy it's a waste.  You can also make an awesome roux inside the pan with the drippings and what's left.  I can't imagine doing a rib roast and not using the drippings.. Lotta great flavor there..
also added what's there and a smidgen of the fat to my pulled pork. 

• Like 5

Anyone have pictures of the double bottom drip pan in their KK? I’ve heard the “great coverage” can be too much. Wondering how much room it takes up in the grill. I’m considering buying a drip pan in a size down that is designed for one of the smaller grills so it isn’t taking up too much space and trapping heat from getting up into the dome. Like any deflector trapping heat below it can require more heat/airflow which is counter intuitive to the whole KK philosophy.

Grasshopper, you have so much knowledge, but also have some much more to learn! (Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

Sorry, no pictures of mine in the grill, but I know that it leaves enough space around the outside for proper airflow. It has to fit inside the handles of the lower grate, if that helps you picture the size?

Next lesson, "heat deflectors" in a KK. The big ceramic one that Dennis will send you with your KK - ditch it! NO ONE, NOT EVEN DENNIS, USES IT! Most of us are content with a single sheet of aluminum foil on the lower grate to block the infrared radiation from the fire for our "indirect" cooks. Order a basket splitter and a spare charcoal basket for your grill to also do indirect cooks. If you want to catch drippings, use the drip pan that will come with your KK, or just use a cheap aluminum one. My advice is to skip the double-walled drip pan and use the $$ for the extra charcoal basket and basket splitter. YMMV

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

And the half grate is essential. It will allow you to work several temperature zone from warming up high and grilling down low.
I have the double lined tray, I like it, however don’t use it that often.
Dennis has engineered this with heat circulation in mind.
I’ll send you a photo when I get home.

• Like 3