Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
lemisfits

DOUBLE BOTTOM DRIP PAN

Hey guys,

I was thinking of getting a double bottom drip pan.  

Does anyone own one and what are your thoughts on the utility, and your experience with it.

Wondering if it's worth the $200.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by lemisfits
  • Like 1

I think it may be my biggest regret that I didn't get one with my 23 (other than not getting a 32 of course).  Having one the shape of the KK would be very beneficial for a lot of different applications, so I'll probably end up getting one sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

I have one and rarely use it. Haven’t found the need. Others use theirs all the time. 

I'm like Pequod, rarely use mine. Almost regret buying it for as little as I use it - once a year for the Turkey Day meal to catch the yummy drippings for the gravy. Money could have gone to other toys. Some folks like to use it on their pizza cooks. Haven't tried that yet. Maybe it will cause me to change my opinion (and it's just that) on the usefulness of the double lined drip pan. YMMV

• Like 1

I use it. Load it with root vegetables and 1/2 inch of water with a few herbs and spices under your roti cooks and low n slow.
The veges rock and with watered cooks it’s an easy clean.
I’ve tried this once with an oil base under a roti cook and it was too hot. Over did the veges.
As expected, the engineering of this double pan is excellent and unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I use mine as a heat deflector under the main grate when doing a pizza that is on the upper grate, it allows the topping to cook more without burning the bottom crust and I also use it to collect the drippings when roasting a chicken. :) 

• Like 3

On 6/14/2020 at 3:52 PM, Basher said:

I use it. Load it with root vegetables and 1/2 inch of water with a few herbs and spices under your roti cooks and low n slow.
The veges rock and with watered cooks it’s an easy clean.
I’ve tried this once with an oil base under a roti cook and it was too hot. Over did the veges.
As expected, the engineering of this double pan is excellent and unique.

This has inspired me to use mine in this manner as well as a water pan during brisket and pork shoulder cooks.  It really is the perfect heat deflector as it’s shape matches the KK so well.  Do you all use water pans during long cooks?  I did during my first brisket on the KK and water was literally dripping from the top cap.  It was crazy.  I don’t know how necessary it was on a KK, but I figured it couldn’t hurt.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 4:54 PM, MacKenzie said:

I use mine as a heat deflector under the main grate when doing a pizza that is on the upper grate, it allows the topping to cook more without burning the bottom crust and I also use it to collect the drippings when roasting a chicken. :) 

Do you use a steel or stone when making pizza?  I was thinking I should use the pan as a deflector when using the steel, but not the stone?  I haven’t received my steel yet as they’re on back order.

• Like 1

Wingman most say the water pan is not required for KK cooking due to low air flow required to hold its temperature- once heated up.
However, I have a limited understanding of wet bulb temperatures and have no doubt that a humid cooking environment produces a juicier cook.

• Like 1

I was using the stone. Mostly used my steel in the kitchen oven. :) I have not used the steel with the db pan in the KK, yet. :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Wingman505 said:

Do you all use water pans during long cooks?

NEVER! :smt018

The only time it makes sense to me is if you're trying to catch the drippings for gravy and don't want them to burn. That was the genesis of the double-bottom drip pan - to preclude the need for water to prevent burning the yummy drippings for the gravy (primarily a Turkey Day thing for me.)

• Like 1

OK, in all honesty, there is ONE KK cook where a water pan is a good idea - baking bread. I'm not a big bread baker, so I almost forgot that those on here who are awesome bakers use a very hot cast iron pan, full of chain links, and at the beginning of their bake, toss water into the pan to create a steam bath, trying to simulate commercial bread ovens.

But, for any meat cook - NEVER! 

• Like 2