BARDSLJR

Cowboy Steak- last night's cook

Tried the Cowboy steak again, reverse-sear method, last night. Built a strong fire, mostly big mesquite wood chunks, on one side of the 32" KK, got it up to 400* and cooked the steak in the first stage high on the cool side of the grill, turning it over every 5 minutes or so, for about 20 minutes till I got it to 110* interior. Took it off, rested for 10 minutes, took it back and seared it close to the fire on the hot side for 2 minutes per side, took it off, rested it again for a few minutes, sliced and served. Daneta prefers very rare, and this time I did not make the mistake of wrapping it in foil for the resting period, (last time I did, and it took it from rare to medium, which is a terrible thing to do to a steak, IMHOP) so I delivered a nicely rare steak to my happy wife. Good quality meat, but I was surprised that, for a 2 1/2", 2 lb steak really only yielded about two servings. The rest will go into the pot for soup stock.

First photo is after roasting; second is after searing, and the third is the final product, served.

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

• Like 6

On 9/27/2020 at 6:08 PM, BARDSLJR said:

Tried the Cowboy steak again, reverse-sear method, last night. Built a strong fire, mostly big mesquite wood chunks, on one side of the 32" KK, got it up to 400* and cooked the steak in the first stage high on the cool side of the grill, turning it over every 5 minutes or so, for about 20 minutes till I got it to 110* interior. Took it off, rested for 10 minutes, took it back and seared it close to the fire on the hot side for 2 minutes per side, took it off, rested it again for a few minutes, sliced and served. Daneta prefers very rare, and this time I did not make the mistake of wrapping it in foil for the resting period, (last time I did, and it took it from rare to medium, which is a terrible thing to do to a steak, IMHOP) so I delivered a nicely rare steak to my happy wife. Good quality meat, but I was surprised that, for a 2 1/2", 2 lb steak really only yielded about two servings. The rest will go into the pot for soup stock.

First photo is after roasting; second is after searing, and the third is the final product, served.

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

Damn. That looks good. I have a sore neck now too (rotating my head to gaze at the picture). 😁

I myself prefer medium-rare, a little on the rare side. This is easy when I am cooking two separate steaks (mine goes on first). In this case, where I am cooking one piece of meat, sliced and served for both of us, I fall back on that old Louisiana saying: "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1