BARDSLJR

Today's Cook: Beef chuck ribs

Well, boys and girls, lads and lassies, fellow cooks: I have my new BBQ Guru all set up for the first time and am doing some fabulous beef chuck ribs, using most post oak and a little cherry.  So, we have some nice fresh, not frozen, beef chuck ribs to start with and the new BBQ Guru DynaQ is all ready to go to work. The Guru got set up in the 32" KK , which was loaded with lump charcoal and post oak chunks with a couple of chunks of cherry thrown in, just because. The ribs got slathered with some original Scott's BBQ sauce (mostly vinegar and red pepper, emulsified. Then medium coarse salt and coarse pepper was applied.

I love the way the Guru is working, doing a great job keeping the KK pretty pretty close to it's 285* target. I do wish the Bluetooth was a little more robust, as my Iphone seems to lose contact if I go inside, which is only about maybe 50 feet and a wall between me and the Guru. The Ipad seems to be a little better connected- go figure. At this point (11:30AM) the ribs have been in a little more than 2 hours and I am a bit shocked that they seem to be cooking so fast- already at 170 or so on their way to 203*, and I had budgeted 8 hours or more for cook, as previous experience and recipes indicated. I don't expect a stall with beef ribs, but maybe it will happen. So stay tuned, folks, but I am loving the control that the Guru offers.

IMG_1944.thumb.jpeg.a56bf8fe889a6dce60c0148bdba54010.jpeg

IMG_1937.jpeg

IMG_1938.jpeg

IMG_1939.jpeg

IMG_1946.jpeg

IMG_1940 (1).jpeg

• Like 3

And here we have a photo of progress at 3 PM, about six hours into the cook, and we are running around 193-195 range for each of the three racks. So I am estimating finishing around 4 or so. Perfect. I was earlier concerned that it was cooking so fast that I might finish too early, and I reset the Guru to 250*. Of course, it would have taken most of 90 minutes to fall that low from 285. Around 2:30 I popped the goal temp setting back to 285, concerned that I achieve a good bark.

I am loving the Guru. Can't wait to do a brisket or a turkey.

IMG_1947.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, tony b said:

Nailed it!!!

Thanks Toney or should I say thanks,.. not. Let me explain, the saying goes that if your lookin you ain't cookin while on the other hand, if you don't look, you can't cook.  The DynaQ is a beautiful tool, so much so.. you don't even have too peak.  Curiosity is replaced by confidence in a gadget that will monitor your cook and make you a master of your pit.  Let me ask, "Whom truly is the master."  True story, at twelve I worked in a popular local steak house and on occasion while separating the dishes and loading them in the dishwasher I would always look over at the chef and cooks noticing what I thought and perceived to be...total chaos. Noise from the chefs, to the cooks, and then to the waitresses was always a mess. Somewhere down the road that mess turned into a rhythm and it wasn't all so bad. The chef controlled the broiler and all the steaks with relative ease and everyone else through his forceful custodial rule followed the path he designed as the rule of law. So if your rhythm today allows you to relax and watch the tide come in with a DynaQ or old forgotten dreams tell you otherwise....don't be concerned, take the easy road.  Always a choice, and with that in mind.........., Happy Election Day.  Although I realize your comment was meant for Bardsljr,  I couldn't help but, stick my hand in the pie.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2