GrillnBrew

Lookie what showed up this morning!

BB 32 completed her journey to NC and finally to my house this morning.  The lift gate wasn't very deep so the driver had to place the crate 90 degrees to where it should be facing, and you can see from the one picture that it was tilted at a precarious angle.  What you can't see, or only part of is that I was behind the crate pushing on it so the pallet jack could roll off the side of the gate.  Got it off the lift safely and wheeled it into the garage for inspection.  My first thought was that there is no way this is a 32", it had to be a 42" because it's so big.  I've read hundreds of times that nothing can do justice to the beauty and quality of the grill until you see it in person, and that is so true.  I kind of just sat there and stared at it and rubbed the tiles without saying a word.  Now comes the fun part of getting it from the garage, around the side of the house and onto the patio beneath my deck.  Probably going to rent a pallet jack and do the leapfrog with two pieces of plywood, but will need a few strong friends to navigate it down a short but steep hill.  I'm guessing that will be a weekend project.

KKdel3.jpg

KKdel2.jpg

KKdel1.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Picked up a pallet jack and three sheets of dura pad on Friday knowing my two boys would be here this weekend for Father's Day.  Saturday, I had my wife, both my sons, my cousin and his wife and daughter, who is getting ready to graduate as a physical therapist, something that might come in handy after this move.  We had one handling the pallet jack, 2-3 on the crate, and 3 leapfrogging the pads.  We took our time, and everything went really smoothly, lots of stop and go on the hill, but no hiccups at all.  We did get it under the deck before I realized I needed to take the crate off, but was able to slide it back out, remove the crate and then back under the deck.  I've seen questions about removing the wood holding the wheels, we used a drill to take out the four screws in each block which left the grill sitting on the center piece of wood.  I slid the ramp to the front, we tilted the grill off the wood block and rolled her onto the patio below the deck.  Probably took 30 minutes total and that was being very cautious the entire time. Way easier than I anticipated. The first cook was a trial by fire, my father in law had requested pork loin for Father's Day dinner (later I found out he wanted pork tenderloin, but it got lost somewhere in translation), so I slapped the charcoal basket in there, fired up the grill, skewered the whole pork loin on the spit and let her rip.  I played with vents and got it settled in around 350, wanted it higher but didn't want the temp to run away from me before I do the venting.  The pork loin was good, I had left some fat on hoping to get some crackle, but that never happened, and I never got the color that I've seen on other rotisserie cooks.  Also, the charcoal seemed to burn from the center to the left, so one side of the pork loin had nice color and the other, not so much, but that may have been from the rushed lighting job I did on the charcoal. I'm also thinking that since I'm a lot further from the fire than on my Kamado Joe, I need a little more heat.  I also had the spit come out of the left side a couple times and start crawling across the inside wall of the KK, funny thing is that it just kept spinning.  I would have spent more time setting it up or making adjustments, but it was already getting late and the in-laws were getting hangry.  Sunday I made the adjustment to the rotisserie spit so it sits firmly in the seat, and also attached the two side tables.  Going to do some quick dinner cooks this week, and then going for the brisket on Saturday, and hopefully the burn in on Sunday.  I will take pics of my next cooks.

kk1a.jpg

kk1.jpg

kk22 (2).jpg

kk4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1