mguerra

Brisket Tallow and Crispies

Your thought about pouring a small amount of the fat over the brisket is something I did. It worked very well. I also wrap in pink butcher paper when the fat has rendered.  I like brushing the fat on the paper as well before wrapping.  And there certainly is nothing better than some warm cracklings with a hit of salt.  Thanks for the video!

I was lucky enough this week to get to have one of my favorite snacks - chicharron, at not 1, but 2 different brewpubs while visiting Milwaukee. Drank a LOT of Oktoberfest beers there - every brewery seemed to have their own take on it. Most were pretty good, a few were "meh," but no really bad ones. 

I'm a convert of the smoked beef tallow school of BBQ after watching several YouTube vids on it. Makes a difference!! 

It's called "cracklin" or "cracklings" over here. There are many stores that have it and it ranges from great to inedible. But how can you go wrong when you are frying hog skin in hog fat? They are delicious and sell for around $15 to $20 a pound. If a store has it, they'll always have boudin too. But that's another topic.

7 hours ago, Poochie said:

It's called "cracklin" or "cracklings" over here. There are many stores that have it and it ranges from great to inedible. But how can you go wrong when you are frying hog skin in hog fat? They are delicious and sell for around $15 to $20 a pound. If a store has it, they'll always have boudin too. But that's another topic.

Around here (North Carolina), cracklings are what's left after rendering out lard. Fried hog skin is called "pork rinds".