David Chang

what is this thing i just baked?

It's a little squished but I'd eat it. Still looks yummy

I make sourdough bread 3 times a week, every week. I give one loaf out of the 2 to an elderly couple that lives nearby.  But my go to recipe is simply this...and David, I know you know how to make bread. Not teaching here, just sharing:

550gr water (warm)

300gr starter

800gr flour (I use bread flour from Costco)

20gr salt

30gr olive oil

If it's cold outside....real cold...I use 1 tsp of yeast.

Mix it all up in a large bowl and let it rise for 2 hours (my oven has a proof setting)

Turn it over in the original bowl several times adding a small amount of flour.... about what you'd put on the counter to keep it from sticking

Now stick it in the fridge for a day. Covered

Turn it over several times and add a little flour 2 or 3 times. Fold it on itself several times.

Divide it into two bread pans (greased or Pam'ed) and let it rise to the top of the pan.

You can put a fine mist of water on top and sprinkle flour on top with a strainer.... light coat. Not necessary but crisper crust will result. 

Bake at 400 for 35 minutes. The end.   I don't make "ears", or anything fancy anymore...just bake it in a pan and call it done. 

Edited by Poochie
  • Like 2

By coincidence, last night I made the first loaf of bread that I have baked in ages.  I had been meaning to try some einkorn bread to see what impact it would have on my blood sugar.  It was roughly 50% whole grain einkorn flour and 50% all purpose einkorn flour (sifted 30% out of the whole grain by weight).  Used fresh yeast and it took about 2 hours from start to finish plus 2 hours waiting for it to cool down.  It was moist and deeelicious!  Blood glucose test inconclusive because I had eaten other carb beforehand but will try a "control" test this lunch time. Flat top because I used a sandwich loaf tin with a lid.  Wrapped in the cloth to avoid a crust forming.  Much more successful than my attempts at sourdough.  

image.thumb.jpeg.69d0b79136b0710940e5fabbd6e7360e.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks!  I am happy to report that, in spite of gorging on two whole slices of the einkorn bread with marmalade, my glucose levels spiked much less than they have done recently and were better than shop bought rye.  Hurrah.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tekobo said:

Thanks!  I am happy to report that, in spite of gorging on two whole slices of the einkorn bread with marmalade, my glucose levels spiked much less than they have done recently and were better than shop bought rye.  Hurrah.  

my wife was diagnosed with type 2 (or was it type 1?) diabetes. she had freestyle bluetooth device in her arm and checked it like every 3 min. the anxiety was not worth the technological convenience. she stopped checking all together and now just eats carefully. i guess it wasn't that serious? 😅

• Like 1

Ha ha.  That technology, a continuous glucose monitor, has saved me from a life time dependency on drugs.  When I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a few years ago, a doctor friend sent me a monitor to try out.  He was totally sure that I could not reverse my diabetes with diet and he sent me the tech to prove that my skin prick tests were not giving me the full picture.  Instead of discouraging me, the tech helped me understand that the order in which I ate things mattered and it also helped me understand which things most affected my blood sugar.  I was able to prove that my natural glucose control improved after 6 months of fasting three days a week and now, four years on, I am still not taking any drugs whereas my husband has had to "graduate" to injecting insulin.  The drugs arms race is well documented in the book that helped me - The Diabetes Code - and I am so pleased to have avoided getting onto the treadmill.  

• Like 3

I had to stop eating my bread as i need to lose a few pounds, my BP started going crazy. It's under control now but i need to eat in moderation for awhile lol

But I'm still baking it for friends and family. I've started making a whole grain sourdough that people really like

IMG_1322.jpeg

• Like 4