tekobo

When the revolution comes I will be able to pass as a vegetarian!

My husband's away for a few days and I decided to try being a vegetarian teetotaller while I was on my own. Otherwise known as drying out and slimming down.

The only problem is that my Texan girlfriend was in town for just one night and I had lured her to dinner with a picture of a nice T-bone steak. She arrived with this tea towel for me but quickly got with the programme and we had a lovely evening, sober at dinner for the first time in our acquaintance.  

image.thumb.jpeg.6e95d9f945ae25cb6821a6a795422225.jpeg

I tried out some BBQ recipes from Francis Mallman's Green Fire and they were all a success, washed down with homemade lemonade.  I didn't get photos of the fennel and spring onions on the konro grill but this one, shows cooked black beans and broad beans getting some char.  It made the black beans a bit crunchy and very tasty. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1102b8535ec9d8deda8fd1d7b1edd2b4.jpeg

Next came the smashed potatoes, grilled with a fennel seed and fennel pollen topping - intended to replicate the flavours of a porchetta and... it worked!

image.thumb.jpeg.78e1a176a8bb4234706c65255fa9cd1b.jpeg

The beans were mixed up with the grilled fennel and spring onions and a bit of vinegar and oil to make the centrepiece salad which we ate with our smashed potatoes.  Surprisingly filling.  

image.thumb.jpeg.f35ad9dfc6d17d79d506b4b9f7ce0c6d.jpeg

Dessert was one of the weirdest things I have ever made.  Grilled stone fruit - I used a plum, a peach and a nectarine - with grilled Raclette cheese!  Texan was NOT weirded out.  We considered what it might need to lift it.  She suggested white balsamic vinegar.  It was the perfect match.  And yes, I know the picture is not the best but I promise you it was tasty. In fact, I am coming round to thinking that I can eat less meat and still enjoy a meal.  Shock!  Horror.

image.thumb.jpeg.1b2d1458d836a5775637a4e5e0928800.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

So...after three days off the booze and eating in a restricted time window, this vegetarian lark seems to be working.  I am sleeping better and have lost a little girth and a little weight.  @Tyrus is right, I won't ever pass for a vegetarian with two freezers full of meat in the house but I am discovering the benefits of not loading every meal with meat and sides and washing it all down with wine at every opportunity.  Baby steps.  I can't be bothered with a diet but if I can make some sustainable changes I will be happy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

I can't be bothered with a diet but if I can make some sustainable changes I will be happy.

Decisions, decisions.  Should I go left or should I go right, whatever you do Tekebo we wish you the best. I do have to admit it was an imaginitive meal, just don't shake the tree so hard.

• Like 1

@Tucker I did a quick google search and it appears the sentiment is well known and available on posters and T-shirts in the US.  With the growing number of vegans in the UK I don't think I'll be walking down the street in one of those T-shirts anytime soon but I might just spring for an apron.