Rob.C

Black 23" Used for sale.

That looks like it has some serious damage, the firebox is cracked and in the pic with the lid up it looks like there is a crack between the layers.  It’s too bad cause it’s only about an hour from me. 

Edited by C6Bill

I am interested in what it would take to repair this poor faded beauty. It is just one town over from where I live. I know I should probably just move on from this listing, but can't help myself from rescuing things...

The description says: "Has some tile that needs to be regrouted and likely needs new seal gaskets. I have a new damper gasket, lid gasket and some grout. Could use a new charcoal basket. I believe I purchased the grill new in 2009."

The grout is missing in a path completely top to bottom, but I don't mind regrouting. I also understand that some parts may need to be ordered, such as the charcoal basket-- are these likely compatible with current grills? I am more concerned with how to determine if the interior has been damaged beyond repair.

This grill is very much repairable..
First, it needs to be heated and dried out.
Then the cracks/tears need to be filled from the bottom up using a syringe
AMAZON: Syringe 8pcs 12cc Disposable Curved Syringe Irrigation Syringe with Curved Tip

I would fill the cracks in the lip with 
AMAZON:  J-B Weld 8281 Professional Size Steel Reinforced Epoxy Twin Pack - 10 oz.  
J-B Weld has a tensile strength of 3960 PSI and can withstand temperatures up to 550ºF.

The firebox is fine.. leave it alone, use it as is.  The crack is fine.  DO NOT try to remove it.

• Like 2

I remember a few years back a member EddieMac pulled/rescued a 23 Cobalt blue from the mud at a Dr's backyard home here in New England somewhere. As Dennis mentioned I believe Eddie cooked that KK for quite some time to first remove the water. He then began the lengthy process of reattaching the tiles and filling in the cracks. Quite an endeavor too take on not to say anything about skill and determination involved. The fruit lies in the reward, hard work pays off, I believe he calls it Baby blue.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

Never seen this before.. and this last Aug, it's been 20 years. We bolt the rolling base to the lower part of the grill through the floor.
The bolts are countersunk, and then the hole is filled with refractory cement to hide the bolts. I'm guessing the floor of this grill was completely wet and soaked into the cement, then when it froze it popped out the cement plugs..the places where it was countersunk and now you can see the bolts.

image.png