tekobo

Paradise close to home

This was the view from my allotment this morning.  It is one of 515 small plots that our local council allocates to vegetable growers at this location.  We were 7 years on the waiting list and when my name got to the top of the list 15 years ago I made a mad dash to select a plot by the harbour.  I am so glad I did. 

image.thumb.jpeg.63dc79db55330258dacfca2ff3ef4140.jpeg

• Like 11

Well, if your mudlarking the area it's encouraging to adventure, however Tekebo if your going to sell me on a piece of land along a salt water marsh for a garden, there has to be more. I'm not holding out on yah, but garden ventures are usually doorstep. Last time I looked veggies weren't growing in salt water, I might be wrong, haven't tried it, so it'll pass for now. For all I know it could be fresh water, but I had to say it just the same.  Either way, I'm sure you could grow whatever you wanted in a desert with good results too, unfortunately one pic just won't do. 

On 1/15/2024 at 3:41 PM, alimac23 said:

Very nice tekobo! Where is this?

It is a lovely peaceful spot next to Langstone Harbour in Portsmouth, Hampshire @alimac23

@Tyrus it is salt water.  In the spring and summer I never water my asparagus and rhubarb and they grow just fine reaching their roots down into the water table.  In the winter the water table rises and I don’t need to water my winter crops either!  Bonus.

My neighbour on the adjacent allotment dug a big trench to drain his plot and it helpfully keeps my plot dry, otherwise I would be wading through squishy mud.  One winter there were birds (geese I think) swimming in his ditch!

I took this photo on the same day as the one above.  There is his ditch on the right and my broad beans growing on the left.  White sprouting broccoli just a bit further along.  They grow slower in the winter but you get an early spring crop from both. 

IMG_4099.thumb.jpeg.11b9830c7143b53603f1141d88f989fe.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you, I just needed a gentle push like that to get over the wall and see what's on the other side, it all makes sense to me now. We took down 15 large trees in our yard this past year because the garden wasn't receiveing enough light, I envy your spot. In my area when I'm driving back from the grocer there's a sign posted along the road beside a large cranberry bog welcoming/inviting those for community gardening, however I'm not at all famiiar with lot sizes or if a waiting list in force. The town is called Halifax, pretty sure there must be a village or town about in merry old England sprouting the same name. Well, since the trees are gone a bit of expansion is due, and like you I will endeavor once the sun is more comprimising to venture out with my spade and create another spot. Funny thinking about rhubarb, I remember quite vividly my first taste of it, my grandmother handed me a stalk from her garden when I was 4ish and said try this, quite the surprise, I'm not sure if I spit it out or was to afraid, anyhow it was a crossroad you never forget. No watering ay, you lucky girl, no matter the spicket and hose for moi are always within reach. 
      May the soil rise to meet you
      may the wind be gentle where you plant
      may the sun be warm and plenty to your crops
      and the rain fall softly upon your fields
      and until we speak again, may GOD hold your rhubarb in the hollow of his hand.

• Thanks 1