David Chang

i sold my fireboard

i just sold it along with a bunch of probes and the guru fan. 

honestly, i hate cooking with all this stuff. all the wires, the cables, keeping it away from rain, using the app. keeping it powered...

i don't use it anymore. i don't overnight cook anything, i don't walk away from my cooks. i can run the kk with my eyes closed. 

so yea, i'm happy to close this chapter of my life. haha..😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

As effective as the Fireboard and Pit Viper combo are, I also hate using the electronics. Wire absolutely PI$$ me off. So frustrating. The more cooks I do without it the more I enjoy using the KK. I plan to do a few more overnight cooks with my KK to dial in my technique. So much has changed over the past two years since I bought my KK. When I use my offset smoker I never use probes. So liberating. Although, I never use it overnight. Just during the day. I can't wait until I have the technique and confidence to let the KK go overnight unassisted. 

@Cheesehead_Griller it gets really hairy when you have the lines for the probes, the ambient temp probe, the power cable for the the fan, the cold smoker with the rubber air tubes that connect to the usb air pump, the power bank (to run the fireboard and air pump uninterrupted), the usb cables for the fireboard and air pump. and you need wifi! it's crazy man..

On 5/27/2024 at 6:34 AM, David Chang said:

@Cheesehead_Griller it gets really hairy when you have the lines for the probes, the ambient temp probe, the power cable for the the fan, the cold smoker with the rubber air tubes that connect to the usb air pump, the power bank (to run the fireboard and air pump uninterrupted), the usb cables for the fireboard and air pump. and you need wifi! it's crazy man..

Totally.  I bought the KK for its simplicity. I hate overcomplicating it with all the wires and electronics. 

• Like 1

i just sold it along with a bunch of probes and the guru fan. 
honestly, i hate cooking with all this stuff. all the wires, the cables, keeping it away from rain, using the app. keeping it powered...

Exactly this. I have the same. Still use my FireBoard but only for internal temp and cook tracking. Used the fan twice ever…though it would be piece of mind for overnight cooks or when I’m out on the lake. It was a good crutch to have but the temp control just on the KK is too easy to keep for overnight. Most cooks I don’t even use the FireBoard anymore.

Most often used cord or cable now is just the cold smoker attachment. As terrible as it sounds, now that I’ve got it dialed in, I use it for all of my long smokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Pork butts and briskets, i like to sleep well. And with the battery pack I think the fireboard makes it really easy. But i like playing with technology so for me its fun, except the first few times using the fireboard, i hated their interface. I was seriously overthinking the app. Now we get along fine lol

While I am not keen on the wires, I really love being able to collect a log of what went on in the cooker. I have really learned a lot. Plus, the zen of KK temperature control still eludes me.

9 hours ago, wrandyr said:

While I am not keen on the wires, I really love being able to collect a log of what went on in the cooker. I have really learned a lot. Plus, the zen of KK temperature control still eludes me.

i think i am in the market for meater 2 plus just to get some tech in the cook but without the wires..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

Do it. I don't like wires but love my Meater. I had a Meater Plus but upgraded to a Meater Block. I like the WIFI connectivity of the Block. 

Any disconnect issues ? I have the single and it disconnect/reconnects every 20 minutes or so.

Edited by C6Bill

4 hours ago, C6Bill said:

Any disconnect issues ? I have the single and it disconnect/reconnects every 20 minutes or so.

That's the problem with the Bluetooth based probes. If you just have the single probe you need an iOS device (old iPhone, iPad, or iPod, etc.) to sit next to it. That device will put the data in the cloud and allow you to access the info from any other device via the Meater app. I always had an iPad close to the smoker. I could then view the data on my phone from anywhere. This was one reason I upgraded to the Block. Plus, I bought the Block brand new for $100. Couldn't pass it up. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2024 at 11:30 AM, C6Bill said:

I got a meater block a couple years ago for Christmas.  I no longer use it.  After the 10th time or so one probe doesn't work anymore and the others disconnect too often and makes the app go crazy.  While it still works, it is just too annoying.  I think with a very thick ceramic grill, wired probes are the only way to go.  YMMV.

I still just use my Thermoworks Smoke X2 with the billows.  Works great, has never failed me.

Edited by johnnymnemonic
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, johnnymnemonic said:

I got a meater block a couple years ago for Christmas.  I no longer use it.  After the 10th time or so one probe doesn't work anymore and the others disconnect too often and makes the app go crazy.  While it still works, it is just too annoying.  I think with a very thick ceramic grill, wired probes are the only way to go.  YMMV.

I still just use my Thermoworks Smoke X2 with the billows.  Works great, has never failed me.

It's unfortunate that your Meater Block doesn't work. I just did a 10 hour cook with mine. I've done it in the KK and or my 3/8" thick with no connection issues. 

On 5/26/2024 at 11:07 AM, David Chang said:

honestly, i hate cooking with all this stuff. all the wires

David, I hear the frustration, just the time to set all the equipment up and troubleshoot is time better spent elsewhere...possibly a Manhattan. I only use the Thermoworks probe, my eyes and intuition with a reasonable understanding of what's in front of me and how much time is on my hands for the cook...as it was in the beginning and forever shall be. I do have a probe that is set to an alarm for meat temp however it's still in the box, $5 yard sale, couldn't pass it up I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1