DennisLinkletter

Tri-Tip to die for..

i believe a saratoga is cut toward the end of the ribroast and beginning of another cut

Delmonico -i usually see it from the second description

1. a bone-in top loin steak (a triangular-shaped, short loin cut, some suggesting the first cut of the top loin next to the rib end) also known as a club steak, country club steak, shell steak, and strip loin steak;

2. a boneless or bone-in rib-eye steak (some insist it is a rib cut closest to the front end of the ribs while others say any rib-eye);

3. a boneless top loin steak (also known as a New York strip steak, Kansas City steak, strip loin, ambassador, boneless club, hotel or veiny steak);

4. a boneless top sirloin.

One more for the road before I went home..

I just had to do One more for the road before I went home..

TriTp.jpg

Yup, the first one was not an anomaly.. This one was great also.

PS when I went to the Chris Lilly class one of the the catering BBQ trucks made some thin sliced tri tip sandwiches with blue cheese dressing that was out of this world..

typo error on temp

Dennis wrote:

So I dropped it in with some cherry smoke at 240º for about 20 minutes..

Then cranked open the top to bring it up to 350. Stopped for a glass of wine and saw it shoot by 350 to 450.

Meat temp 148º.

Shut it down and let it dwell and pulled it at 165º.

Let it rest 20 minutes..

I did a tri-tip this weekend and pulled at 162 temp, however it was closer to well done.....some slight pink in very center. Is the meat temp a typo error or could it be a thermometer error?

I have seen posts on prime rib roasts where they are pulled in the 140 range for medium rare. After thinking about it ....167 is the temp the collagen breaks down on brisket, pork butt, etc.

I had looked for a chart that broke down the various meat temps and the rare-well done ratings. Do we have one on this site ? Hint Deej ;)

Re: typo error on temp

I did a tri-tip this weekend and pulled at 162 temp, however it was closer to well done.....some slight pink in very center. Is the meat temp a typo error or could it be a thermometer error?

I'm editing this to say that my thermometer was off.. I'd shoot for 130º

I did not have my small handy thermometer with me to spot check..

It was on a Maverick Redi Smoke.. The numbers never match my Tel Tru.

but placement always becomes an issue. Those probes are long and might have been near the meat surface.. Hope your TT was still good..

;)

Re: typo error on temp

Do we have one on this site ? Hint Deej ;)

Like this one?

-=Jasen=-

cookdonechartdc7.gif

Yes Deej...thanks. I was thinking that if I had pulled it at mid 140's it would have been closer to medium after resting.

Dennis...I was using my new thermapen and was wondering about its accuracy. My guests raved about the meat even though we all prefer medium to medium rare. I brushed with olive oil (produced ourselves) and used a combination of a local SantaMaria spice blend and CharCrust Garlic Peppercorn.

Also note that CharCrust is available at Target Superstores as well as CostPlus World Markets. I bought some more yesterday from CostPlus and it is priced the same but no shipping.

Re: Tri-Tip to die for.. I've been doing a Tri Tip almost once a week.. We eat some of them hot but most of it gets sliced up and in the fridge as our go to beef for salads and sandwiches.. Still love this cut. Leave out a few hours to ensure it's really room temp all the way thru.. I grind up with a Mortar and Pestle the fresh dried parsley from World Spice in Seattle..with 0.6% coarse sea salt by weigh and a pinch of garlic. Fresh ground pepper to cover. I rub down the meat first with just a little olive oiley to get things to stick and better sears.. KK about 350 to 400º not important.. Put in indirect with the upper grill turned over tall handles up with drip pan on it.. Meat on the main grill, some small guava and coffee (wood) chunks. Cool until Guru tells me 130º but more importantly it feels a just lil bit firm.. Pull off and remove the main grill and drip pan.. Spray them with water to protect the dog who will lick anything! Hit the charcoal with my cheapo hair drier to get to sear temps almost immediately.. When the dome reads over 600º it's well over 800º the 1-2" over the now raging inferno. 30 seconds on both sides.. Sometimes I'll turn them 45º to get cross hatching.. depends how relaxed (read lazy) I'm feeling.. Is this a beauty or what? Click on the image to see the larger image and that famous TriTip grain ;) ;) fetch?id=66679

post-6370-139082391928_thumb.jpg

Re: Tri-Tip to die for..

I do Tri-Tip all the time it's easy and always good.

In the morning I put Garlic powder and Montreal steak seasoning on it then put it in a zip lock bag add soy sauce and olive oil. close the bag smush it around some (Smush is a technical term for roll it around and message it) and then just let it sit in the refrigerator until dinner time.

Nothing better.....

Tony

Re: Tri-Tip to die for..

One time add a little worcestershire to your bag of olive oil, soy sauce, and garlic. Marinate a nice piece of beef steak in that and see what you think. This is our go to beef marinade. And whatever other spices you like can go in the marinade, or applied as a rub. Some tenderloins (filets) marinaded overnight in this concoction will blow you away the next night!

Great Beef Secret Ingredient

One time add a little worcestershire to your bag of olive oil' date=' soy sauce, and garlic. Marinate a nice piece of beef steak in that and see what you think. This is our go to beef marinade. And whatever other spices you like can go in the marinade, or applied as a rub. Some tenderloins (filets) marinaded overnight in this concoction will blow you away the next night![/quote']

Great Beef Secret Ingredient

Crush up two beef bullion cubes and toss those in also..

I rub a few crushed up into worcestershire into my briskets too..