DennisLinkletter

Back at work in Indonesia

Well I'm finally back in Indonesia from my whirlwind tour of CA. To recant, I landed July 6th and spent 3 days with my momma in Palo Alto, then drove up to Healdsburg to stay with my father four days, then drove to Lake Tahoe to celebrate my grand fathers 95th with 32 family members for 3 days, back to Palo Alto for 1 night before my momma left town, so off to Pismo Beach for a night before settling down in Los Angeles for a full 5 days. I next drove further south and stayed in Corona Del Mar for 4 days and visited my brother and childhood friends in Laguna Beach where I grew up (Very Pre-MTV) I then went out to Pomona for 2 days for the Chris Lilly Competition BBQ class, back to Corona Del Mar for 1 days, back to Los Angeles for one night, then back to Palo Alto for 4 days..

Whew! That was with a my nine year old boy and twenty one month old lil girl in tow. Now it's easy to guess how good sleeping in my own bed felt last night.. to the 14 hours jet lag won't let me sleep.. as you can see it's now 4:38 am for me and I'm here online catching up!

Murphy strikes again..

I'll be back answering Emails, twice a day as before.. Please excuse my delays in getting back to you and their brevity sometimes but I'm Baaack and ready to help again..

;);)

PS Chris Lilly, 10 times BBQ World Champion loved the KK OTB that Professor Salt (Shuji) brought.. (Shuji was over the top cool and dragged the Black Dragon to the class)

Chris and I discussed Komodo design and BBQ cooking principles at length and he agreed enthusiastically that Komodo's design is exactly what it should be, a naturally high humid, low airflow cooking environment. He also loved the quality and looks of the OTB. I also had the pleasure if meeting Chuck AKA So Cal Cooker but stumbled and forgot the forum and did not take photos.. oops..

Dennis wrote:

stumbled and forgot the forum and did not take photos.. oops..

Isn't there a policy here if there are no photos it didn't happen. :eek::D

Of course the main rule is that it Dennis' playground and Dennis' rules (and exceptions) . :D

Dennis...you forgot the part about what you cooked at the different stops you made. You posted the tri-tip.....but what about some of the other items you cooked.....Did you take a plate of the BBQ bugs to your grandfathers' birthday bash?

Hey Dennis' date=' wow great looking meal! What is that dish with tomatoes, I think rosemary and other stuff?? It looks like its on the pizza dish.[/quote']

Fresh mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil. Usually some delicious olive oil, maybe salt and pepper. Some do balsamic too.

It's good stuff!

The salad..

Hey Dennis' date=' wow great looking meal! What is that dish with tomatoes, I think rosemary and other stuff?? It looks like its on the pizza dish.[/quote']

I sent off the photo to check on the ingredients but she said thought it was Trader Joe's mixed herb greens, asian pear, spiced pecans, gorgonzola cheese and peppery arugula..

A little late here on the response, sorry everyone.

Great to meet Dennis in person, and also Chuck from this forum (So Cal Cooker). I learned a bunch of contest cook strategies at this Chris Lilly class.

One thing I found real interesting is that Chris prefers cookers that have low airflow through them. He's an equipment fanatic who owns a whole mess of cookers in his backyard, and has seen lots of designs from many manufacturers. Less airflow means less moisture carried out the exhaust, and that ultimately means a juicier BBQ.

As you all know, that's one of the best features of the KK design. Chris liked that aspect of the KK very much, and I believe Dennis is going to give Chris the chance to test drive one for himself.

I'll post a few photos from the Chris Lilly class. A few times a year, Chris gives brief "intro to real BBQ" talks for the general public. I feel very lucky because he almost never gives this sort of in-depth class where he shares his competition cooking methods with other BBQ contest cooks. I'll post some photos here, and link to some others on my Flickr archive: http://flickr.com/photos/professorsalt/ ... 107280910/

When I get around to writing a blurb on my blog, I'll put up a link to that too. For now, enjoy the photos.

komodochat.jpgDennis and Chris chat over my Black Dragon

porkpull.jpgChris Lilly's pulled pork butt

porkpull3.jpgChris selects the best pieces for the turn in box

porkbox2.jpgThe demo of a pulled pork turn in box (for KCBS sanctioned contests)

brisketdiagnoal.jpg

Brisket was started on a different cooker, but finished on my KK. Chris is using my giant spatula in this photo (I'm never washing that spatula again....)dink

nice pull!!!! chris brines, or injects, or something, doesn't he? the brisket is picture perfect too. can tell that he trimmed the fat cap within like 1/4" or less, yah?

techniques shared, pls?

We were actually sworn not to give out particular details of his techniques, so I have to honor that request.

Chris injects his pork butts / whole shoulders / whole hogs with a mildly flavored cider based brine. Chris' recipe is in Mike Mills' book Peace, Love and Barbecue. He's mastered the art of injecting - so fast and precise with the needle, that he looks like a sewing machine. I would be surprised if that weren't shown on the videos that Chris sells on the Big Bob Gibson website.

He does not inject his brisket. Despite that, he gets amazing flavor from his final product, and you better believe I'm using what I learned that weekend.

We were actually sworn not to give out particular details of his techniques' date=' so I have to honor that request.[/quote']

Bet they installed the microchip, too, so he KNOWS if you tell. :shock:

On the plus side, you prolly learned the secret handshake so you can recognize each other! :)