sanesmith

I'm on board!

After lurking on this board for a a few weeks I have taken the leap and ordered my KK:

GEN 2.2 Ultimate 23" OTB with Creme Stone shaped tile /gas option

My wife thought the KK (and the K) was "beautiful" and wouldn't have a BGE which she found "UGLY" I was within a wisker of purchasing a K9 with all the trimmings but was finally persuaded by reading both forums that more users of the KK were satisfied with their purchase.

My thanks to all posters and to Dennis for providing a wealth of information. I'll continue tapping your knowledge and expertise.

I expect delivery next week and of course can smell the smoke already! :D

Congrats! I'm sure you and the Mrs. will be very happy with the choice - a neighbor of mine commented that we should keep ours in the living room so we can gawk at them. It would also help you sleep better at night, assuming you don't need to wake up! :eek: However I'm not sure anyone with the moniker "sane"smith will be happy on this forum :lol:

Thanks for the warm welcome

Wow, very nice to be greeted so warmly! Thanks all!!

I'll post some pics when the cooker gets going. For now I'm reading about charcoal (whew!), thinking about a cover (talk to me johnnyboy), looking at stokers and guru's (who knew?) and counting down (6 days to go ;) )......

For charcoal it's hard to do any real research and *NOT* find TNW's site, but just in case you need it:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

In my large cooker I use pretty exclusively Dennis' extruded coconut charcoal for cooks around 350F or less. In my small one I like it hot, usually around 500F or so, and I use whatever lump's available - often Cowboy from Lowes but a local supermarket has Full Circle.

Regarding the BBQ Guru vs. Stoker, I'm a Stoker fan. The Guru is a much more slick-looking implementation and works well out of the box, but I like the Stoker's computer interface and when paired with StokerLog (a free third party application to control it) I feel it's the superior device. The other benefit is that I'm usually sitting too far away from the cooker for a wireless transmitter to function so using Ethernet to talk to it is perfect. If you're not a "techie" and the Guru's wireless range is OK for you (assuming you want the wireless version) that may be the better choice. If you like to play or need multiple cooker support I think the Stoker is your better option - but there's a ton of opinions out there that go both ways.

Thanks, built that one for a retired Navy Captain. Fun project.

Customer came up with design, I mailed him a piece of Sunbrella we were using for the cover, he had the embroidery work completed locally, mailed completed work back, and I sewed it into the cover. Worked out pretty slick.

Thanks again!