Glaucoma

There's a disease we call "The Silent Thief of Sight", glaucoma. If you have glaucoma, 99% of the time there are no symptoms. You can't see it and you can't feel it, you won't know you have it, and it can blind you. As an ophthalmologist, I encourage all adults to get an eye exam every year, regardless of whether you think you need it or not, to screen for glaucoma. Every year I have a few people come in who have not had an eye exam for quite some time; and they have serious glaucoma damage, well on their way to blindness, and they didn't know it. This is totally preventable, we have excellent success at stopping the damage... if we diagnose it. I could go on at great length about this, and I will if you want, but mainly I just want ya'll to get checked every year!! We estimate there are several million people in the U.S. right now with undiagnosed glaucoma, these people will probably go blind if not treated. Don't be one of them.

Remember Rachel could not sit still?

Glaucoma

There's a disease we call "The Silent Thief of Sight", glaucoma. If you have glaucoma, 99% of the time there are no symptoms. You can't see it and you can't feel it, you won't know you have it, and it can blind you. As an ophthalmologist, I encourage all adults to get an eye exam every year, regardless of whether you think you need it or not, to screen for glaucoma. Every year I have a few people come in who have not had an eye exam for quite some time; and they have serious glaucoma damage, well on their way to blindness, and they didn't know it. This is totally preventable, we have excellent success at stopping the damage... if we diagnose it. I could go on at great length about this, and I will if you want, but mainly I just want ya'll to get checked every year!! We estimate there are several million people in the U.S. right now with undiagnosed glaucoma, these people will probably go blind if not treated. Don't be one of them.

You say adult.. does this mean people should get annual exams starting at 18?

Is there an age when glaucoma affects more people?

Do you recommend we all start smoking medicinal ganja to prevent it?

:lol::lol:

I think glaucoma tests got the biggest plug from when Rachel on Friends could not sit still..

Get checked!

We recommend every kid get one full medical eye exam prior to their first birthday, to screen for the fatal cancer retinoblastoma. After that an eye exam every two years up to age 40, assuming no other findings. Annually after age 40, assuming no findings. Glaucoma can occur at any age, more common the older you get. There are many eye diseases besides glaucoma that can be silent. People who see clearly are most at risk because they figure they don't need an eye exam. Wrong! We see a tremendous number of kids who only come to our attention after they are old enough to complain of poor vision, around ages 6-10. They had eye problems since birth or shortly thereafter, but their parents never knew and did not bring them in. Big mistake. Get those kids in early, we can prevent a serious loss of vision if we get on these kids early. You wouldn't believe the sense of guilt and remorse I see weekly from parents who realize their kids' vision loss was preventable. I will answer any and all eye care questions for the KK gang!

Rachel

I presume the reference to Rachel had something to do with the air puff method of checking eye pressure. I never saw that, but...let me add this. Most ophthalmologists check your eye pressure with a device that DOES NOT blow a puff of air in your eye. That is more common in an optometry practice. My point is not to deride optometry, but to encourage you to get an eye exam and don't avoid it because of the air puff! Even if you eye doctor does the puff, go anyway!!! I will state clearly that I am an M.D. and biased toward ophthalmology. However, a good optometrist will give you a good exam.

Doc - Dennis was referencing Rachel from the NBC show "Friends" I never saw that episode (or many for that matter) but the cast of characters was thrown down our throats from every media outlet -

As for the ganja reference - well that is pot, dope, mary jane, herb, grass, weed, reefer, Aunt Mary, skunk, boom, gangster, or kif. I was going to list them all but a quick google search came up with 420 different references for marijuana. Who knew? You can find them all here:

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/str ... ntTypeID=1

After looking at the link, I have to wonder if Clinton, Bush, and Obama helped them to finish up the list!!!!

By the by, I have 20/20 vision today, could probably use an eye checkup, but have never even held a marijuana cigarette in my hand. Just lucky? :lol:

I was wondering who else was going to pick up on that reference. :P

You know, i actually googled it to see if they really limited the hits to 420, as one of those clever google-isms they like to build in sometimes - like "swim across the ocean" when you pulled directions to somewhere in Europe.

BTW, Gerard, lookin' hot in that avatar. :shock:

I think its fair to say that most patients prefer applanation for pressure checks rather than non contact. Its more comfortable and more accurate.

Michael, I managed two refractive surgery centers for years before switching careers. Worked with many MD's in my time.

Participated in the Staar phakic IOL study (before they changed the name to ICL, more palatable to the patient) and several other studies including B&L wavefront LASIK studies. Its been five years since I left so much has probably changed although when I left the technology stalled.

Glad I changed careers though. With the recession not much disposable income for elective surgery.

Steve Slade still practicing in Houston?

Dr. Slade

I think Dr. Slade is still there. BTW, the ICL is working great, our happiest patients are the ICL pts. For those not familiar, the ICL is a corrective lens we place in the eye to correct nearsightedness. It's like wearing your glasses or contacts inside your eye! Very cool.

Re: Dr. Slade

I think Dr. Slade is still there. BTW' date=' the ICL is working great, our happiest patients are the ICL pts. For those not familiar, the ICL is a corrective lens we place in the eye to correct nearsightedness. It's like wearing your glasses or contacts inside your eye! Very cool.[/quote']

That was a slick procedure. As you know though the results are highly dependent on surgeon skill, lens choice though.

My cousin had it done. She was -13D and had a corneal thickness of 460microns so Lasik wasn't an option. Actually, LASIK wasn't a great option due to the severity of her prescription regardless of corneal thickness. She's doing really well today.

I miss assisting in those procedures though. Patients that can benefit from the ICL are the most grateful which is always nice. It was the -1D LASIK patients that were the most demanding....go figure.

Around age 45, plus or minus a few years, the human eye loses its' ability to focus at near, with your distance prescription in place, if any. Lasik is designed to correct your distance vision. After lasik, you should still be able to see near til about age 45ish. At that point, presbyopia occurs and you lose your ability for near vision, and need to wear readers. People who did not have lasik and wear glasses have to switch to bifocals. People who wear contacts have to wear readers on top of their contacts. People hate presbyopia!! So far, we have no good surgical fix for it, although several surgeries have been tried. There is a radio frequency treatment called CK, conductive keratoplasty, which is touted as a fix for presbyopia, but all it really does is make your eye nearsighted so you can see near, but lose your far vision. Because you lose your distance vision with CK, we usually do it on one eye only, so one eye sees near and the other eye far. That's called monovision. It's not really fixing presbyopia, but allows you go without glasses, albeit with some compromise in depth perception. CK is also temporary, the effect wears off. Another lasik option is to correct one eye for near and the other eye for far, lasik monovision. You can also do that with contacts.

Regarding the ICL: see

http://www.staar.com/html/visian-icl.html

If you want ICL surgery, please call my office in Kerrville, 830-792-4900!!! I'll do your surgery, you can go to the Alamo, Fiesta Texas, and Seaworld, watch the Spurs, and cruise the Riverwalk. You've heard of eco-tourism? Let's call this opto-tourism! A real Texas fandango.

Around age 45, plus or minus a few years, the human eye loses its' ability to focus at near, with your distance prescription in place, if any. Lasik is designed to correct your distance vision. After lasik, you should still be able to see near til about age 45ish. At that point, presbyopia occurs and you lose your ability for near vision, and need to wear readers. People who did not have lasik and wear glasses have to switch to bifocals. People who wear contacts have to wear readers on top of their contacts. People hate presbyopia!! So far, we have no good surgical fix for it, although several surgeries have been tried. There is a radio frequency treatment called CK, conductive keratoplasty, which is touted as a fix for presbyopia, but all it really does is make your eye nearsighted so you can see near, but lose your far vision. Because you lose your distance vision with CK, we usually do it on one eye only, so one eye sees near and the other eye far. That's called monovision. It's not really fixing presbyopia, but allows you go without glasses, albeit with some compromise in depth perception. CK is also temporary, the effect wears off. Another lasik option is to correct one eye for near and the other eye for far, lasik monovision. You can also do that with contacts.

Regarding the ICL: see

http://www.staar.com/html/visian-icl.html

If you want ICL surgery, please call my office in Kerrville, 830-792-4900!!! I'll do your surgery, you can go to the Alamo, Fiesta Texas, and Seaworld, watch the Spurs, and cruise the Riverwalk. You've heard of eco-tourism? Let's call this opto-tourism! A real Texas fandango.

Do you serve KK meals with your surgeries :D

TICL, toric impantable collamer lens

We never know how the FDA will act. Any estimates of when a product will be approved are totally speculative. I don't even worry about it. When the manufacturers rep tells me a new product is finally available, that's when it's available. The toric ICL is a lens implant for nearsighted people with a fair degree of astigmatism. If you have 0.75 diopters or more of astigmatism, the regular ICL can work, but not perfect. The toric ICL would be better. Please don't ask me to explain astigmatism! Internet search it til you understand it, it requires a significant understanding of optics, and some diligent study to grasp the concept. I'm not sure if Staar's website even discusses the TICL yet, they might.