DennisLinkletter

How did you get your Komodo off the palette?

your method!

Precisely as you have recommended in the thread linked below, using two 2x4's passed through the rope loops. One person at each end of both. So four people. And you MUST PAD the 2x4 where it contacts the tiles! Also, it is easiest to remove all the innards and the top before lifting off the pallet. Photos here:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=523

I bent down and lifted one side if the grill by the legs, and pivoted it so those legs were on the ground. Then I tilted the grill a bit mire and either rolled it off or had someone pull the pallet out (can't recall which).

I think both of my pallets had some crushed boards, which probably made it easier.

With the help of a neighbor we lifted off the dome first which was in a separate crate. Then we removed the crate from around the bottom part of the KK. We rolled the KK to the edge of the pallet, eased two feet on the patio, then tipped it enough to pull the pallet out from the other 2 feet, eased the KK back to the ground. We installed the dome. I built a temporary ramp and we pushed it up onto the deck. It was easier to deal with than I thought it was going to be.

My brother and I removed the blocks around the feet of the Komodo. Then he gently tilted the palette bottom while I carefully guided the KK down to the garage floor. Just the two of us and some careful attention to detail. Came off no problems! I think the wheels on the bottom of the KK are bigger than people realize....

removal

A small section of 3/4" inch ply with 2 X 4s underneath to create a ramp and provide support were sufficient to roll the KK right off the palette. Also, be sure to control the descent with a little counter force.

off the palette

We did the same as slu for the two 23" , 2x4 on edge with 3/4" ply sheet, probably 24" square as a ramp.

The 19.5" guy I just rolled off the palette gently. The wheels make contact just before the edge of the leg and allows it to roll well as it comes off.

We put 2x4's through the loops and 4 guys each lifted one end and I pulled the pallet out. Because we could see it would be easy to push the KK to its final location, I didn't want them to remove the lid thinking not having to reassemble it would be one less thing to worry about. We did remove the stainless grates and contents. My guys had to do several test lifts because the KK tended to tip. But once they felt balanced, one power lift for a couple of seconds was all that was needed for me to pull the pallet out. It really was much easier than I expected since those casters are really terrific! My house is on the corner of a busy street in a small village and we sure were stopping traffic while uncrating and waiting for all the guys to arrive!!!

Susan