bspears

New Blue

fetch?id=67997

My new KK delivered a few weeks ago but it was waiting on the deck to be finished. Uncrated and moved in about 15 mins to its new home. Ignore the dusty foot prints on the new deck. I need to switch the propane jet for the natural gas jet and I will be good to go. Thanks Dennis. Hopefully I will be up and cooking soon. Bob Spears

Re: New Blue

Yup that's the deep dark very even Cobalt Blue..

Seriously a Home Run Color..

Wish I had a 500 boxes of that tile..

;);)

The Cobalt Blue is amazing, but I recently saw something, and can't track it down again on the web site. Something like shiny metallic bronze. It was out of stock, and had a premium price tag. An I ringing any bells?

Yup that's the deep dark very even Cobalt Blue..

Seriously a Home Run Color..

Wish I had a 500 boxes of that tile..

;);)

The Cobalt Blue is amazing, but I recently saw something, and can't track it down again on the web site. Something like shiny metallic bronze. It was out of stock, and had a premium price tag. An I ringing any bells?

Yes Bronze metallic .. I have one in ready stock here

Bronze metallic in ready stock

Also' date=' Dennis, I recall a quick post about stainless steel finishings on the tiles. There was a blue ish stainless that was jaw dropping. More money of course. Is that available?[/quote']

By the time the freight and duty here in Indonesia was add in, they were a bit pricey. The company no longer makes them. I recently had some stainless tile covers stamped.. I have not done anything with them to date..

;);)

Finally got a chance to try the new KK out.

First I had to switch the Propane nipple on the gas burner to the NG nipple. That went smoothly.

I made a quick trip to OSH for a bag of Lazzari mesquite lump and an electric match. Stopped at the market on the way home for ten fresh texas prawns and two prime New York strips. It has been a very long while since I have cooked with anything but gas so I approached the bag of lump with some trepidation. I started with about ten medium sized pieces and two large. Just enough to cover the bottom of the charcoal bucket and then some. The gas burner got it lit in about 10 minutes. I started measuring temps pretty soon. I wanted to see how fast it heated up. I was using a scripto digital food thermometer stuck thru the rubber grometted port on the right side of the KK. It quickly rose to about 275 but I couldn't seem to get it any hotter. I had the lower vent wide open and the upper vent open about three turns. I thought I might need more lump so I added some. I gave is some more time but them temp wouldn't go up much more. I then pulled the temp probe out of the hole on the right and stuck it in the hole up on the front of the dome and the temp climbed rapidly to over 500 degrees. Is this normal to see such a differential in temp from grill level to dome level?

I was using the lower grill. I started with the shrimp and they cooked very quickly. The steaks went on next and they to cooked a lot quicker than I was used to. 6 minutes on the first side and four minutes on the second. Two more minutes on the side of the grill and the internal temp was reading 150 degrees. I pulled them off and let them sit on a plate for about 4 minutes. They were a little over done for my taste but with practice I think I can get better.

I think I will have to use the upper grill if I want them to cook a little slower like I am used to. Temperature control on this beast looks to be a little more difficult than on my old gas grill but I am hoping with enough use it becomes second nature. I have a stoker but I think I will not use it until I have a little more experience.

All in all it was a fun cook. I shut down both vents when I was done and it looked like the charcoal was out about 45 mins later. I will check it again in the morning.

Heres to my new KK. Let the adventure begin.

:D:D:D:D

Always be sure to use plenty of charcoal. Its much easier to control temps with a good fuel supply. I have never heard of anyone using the side polder tube hole to install a stick thermometer I can see how this could give false temps until the ceramic has stabilized. During high temp cooks the upper dome will definitely get hotter quicker than the lower sides. Congrats on your first cook it definitely gets easier as you learn the nuances of cooking on a KK.

Use a FULL basket of lump for any cook, grilling or low and slow.

You can grill at any height level above the fire using your various grates. I like to grill up high on the main grill, because it takes longer and gets more smoke time. It does use more fuel. If you like the "done on the outside, red on the inside" then grill down lower. If you like it more evenly cooked throughout, cook up higher. There is no need to monitor your fire temp for grilling. Just get a good hot fire going. I start a chimney full of lump and dump it out on to a full basket of charcoal. Open the daisy wheel all the way and open the top vent fully off its seat. That gets a hot grilling fire. If you want it hotter yet, pull open the bottom front draft door. If you do this BE SURE to put something under the opening to catch embers!!! Don't set your porch on fire, your house will follow.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.