EGGARY

KOSHER SALT VS. SEA SALT

I am cooking a Turkey for a Hanukkah Party this Saturday. I am using the Turkey Brine Recipe from MGuerra. I will be adding bourbon as well. My question is, is there a difference between Kosher and Sea Salt ? Will using Kosher Salt do the same as Sea Salt ? I just hope the Turkey isn't salty.

Thank you.

Re: KOSHER SALT VS. SEA SALT

Sea salt, as with table salt, is much finer and the ratios are different. I forget the exact amounts, but 1 cup if kosher salt is equivalent to 1/2 cup of table salt, and probably something like 2/3 cup of sea salt. So beware if you use a different salt than is called for in any recipe. Otherwise you may end up with jerky!!! :)

You got me to thinking this is what i learned from this site http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/466760 . Scroll down you will find your answer. I did not know of the discoloration from salt. I happened to have koscher salt for the brine for our Thanksgiving turkey i run out of room and was unable to use all the water and i did not notice the bird being any more salty i will say it was the first brine turkey i ever made and it was the BEST turkey we ever ate some Hickory wood for smoke it was so moist. I swore i would never eat another turkey but we got the grill and i never had a smoked turkey before and WOW so glad i tried it. Its not that i dont love it turkey it just doesn't love me BUT i feel the brining was the trick to not burping it all day. Here is the recipe i used and i did use less water as i said the pot was too small.

Turkey Brine

1 1/2 c. Kosher salt

1/3 c. Dark Brown sugar

1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce

1 T. Black pepper

3 T. Minced garlic (jar)

2 gallon cold water (enough to cover your bird so completely submerged)

Put in the fridge 48 hr before cooking

Rinse well pat dry before cooking. Smother in olive oil salt and pepper. Ready to cook on grill or smoker or oven. This makes the most delicious MOIST turkey you will ever eat.

Eggary:

I've done a bit of brining and find my brined foods don't taste salty so long as I don't apply much additional salt, if any, to the exterior before cooking. Sometimes I forget that I already salted the food by brining it then I get in trouble with too much saltiness.

If you are cooking a kosher turkey, do some Google research on Kosher turkeys and brining as I believe they are already brined and shouldn't be brined a second time.

Susan

• Like 1

Re: KOSHER SALT VS. SEA SALT Those proportions sound about right between Kosher, Sea, and Table salt for measuring volumes. Also, depending on the source for the sea salt, it could have enough trace minerals in it to alter the flavor profile (e.g., Himalayan, Alaea, etc.) Here's a good source to check it out: http ://www.  saltworks .us / gourmet-sea-salt . asp I buy salts from them all the time.

Edited by DennisLinkletter
The Saltworks site got a google penalty like the KK site and asked me to remove this link.. I put spaces in it to throw off the big G

The relationship between the various salts is simplified by using weight, not volume. One cup of table salt is 10 ounces. Just use a kitchen scale to measure out whichever salt you use.

Now, having said that, 10 ounces of Morton Kosher salt is one and a half cups and Diamond Kosher is two cups.

If you have a kitchen scale, use it, it's more accurate than "weighing by volume".

I am cooking a Turkey for a Hanukkah Party this Saturday. I am using the Turkey Brine Recipe from MGuerra. I will be adding bourbon as well. My question is, is there a difference between Kosher and Sea Salt ? Will using Kosher Salt do the same as Sea Salt ? I just hope the Turkey isn't salty.

Thank you.

Eggary: How did your turkey come out? Did you think it was too salty?

The turkey came out great. It was not salty. The Bay Leaves gave it a distinct flavor.

I pulled the Turkey at 162. I wanted to pull it at 155-159. The turkey was not dry, breast or dark meat.

Everyone raved about the turkey. I have a picture of the turkey but I don't know how to post.

I'm pretty limited as to what I can do on a computer but this is how I post pictures. I get the picture I want up on the screen and then right click it. This brings up a Picture Manager. Then I click as follows: Edit, Resize, Predefined width x height Document large 1024 x 768. Then I save it and rename it so I know that picture is resized for posting. Then you look below the KK editor box and click Upload Attachment, choose your resized picture using Browse and then click add the file. You should be able to see your pitcure when you hit the preview button. Would love to see your turkey.

Has anyone used Pickling Salt? I saw an episode where Alton Brown had recommended it, but my one experience to date was negative. My wife who must have some mineral deficiency (over salts everything), thought it was good but in my opinion it was a bit much.

Pickling salt dissolves very quickly, but it seems more potent? Anyone have a good experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD