dstr8

Buying decision help requested!

We recently moved to a new town. Previously I had relied upon a BBQ island I built that included a 42" Dynasty gas grill, Cookshack smoker, etc.

I think I've narrowed my choice for a new BBQ to either the KK or a 30" Fire Magic. While I understand the benefits of low and slow on the KK I'm concerned about how easily and quickly the KK can be ready to grill, say, a chicken breast, small steak, etc., for a quick after work dinner. And curious about 'zonal'/indirect cooking on the KK.

When a good sear is desired how is it to reach down in the belly of the KK with 600 degrees of heat blasting up at you?

I used our former Dynasty an average of 5-days/evenings a week. Also I frequently roast peppers & tomatoes...

Interested in hearing all your relative comments and thank you in advance!

Re: Buying decision help requested!

I don't know what Fire Magic is, but if it's gas, banish it. You can cook almost anything on your KK, regular sear, reverse sear, roast, bake, low and slow, hot grilling, whatever! Meat, fish, bread, pizza, veg, stew, pretty much anything. Just get a KK, don't waste time with hours of pointless mental masturbation. All you have to do is peruse this forum, present and past, to know that's true....

I first bought a 30" Fire Magic almost 9 years ago thinking it was the greatest in BBQs. Then 4 years ago I bought a Big Green Egg XL. Again I thought it was the greatest in BBQs. I then last year I bought a KK. It is what it is, the Top of the Line in Kamados. It is unique, an Art Piece.

I still have the Fire Magic but it just sits and stores the accessories for the KK and the BGE. I still use the BGE as a secondary cooker. I also have another charcoal BBQ that I use as a third BBQ.

Gassers are convenient and that is it. They do not add any flavor when grilling.

The KK is not just a BBQ but also a Smoker, an Oven.

OK, I looked up Fire Magic. Here is my opinion. DON'T spend that much on a gasser!!!!!! Some of our group do use gassers now and again for veg and so on while the KK is cooking the meat. If I wanted a gasser for that reason, I would get a cheap POS from WalMart... or Lowes, or whatever.

Just my opinion.

Hey Doc, you didn't look close enough. Fire Magic makes charcoal grills, too. http://firemagicstore.com/fire-magic-charcoal-stand-alone-barbecue-grill-with-smoker-hood-30-x-18-238.html But, I second the sentiment on high priced gassers!

However, for the price point of the FM (3 grand), assuming you're not looking at the dual fuel units ($4400), why not splurge the extra money and get the KK, which will last a lifetime (not so sure about the longevity of the FM - guess it depends on the climate it's in. Don't be fooled, stainless steel will rust in the right conditions.) Plus, the KK has significantly more grilling area than the FM and looks to be way more versatile - IMHO.

Never owned an FM or anything like it. My early days were all classic Webers until I bought my first ceramic (POSK), which I gave to a buddy when I upgraded to the KK. I also own a small Grill Dome, which I use for grilling smaller quantities - couple of brats, chicken breast, etc.

I have to say, unequivocally, that the KK is the best purchase that I've ever made for any piece of cooking equipment. It is a marvel to cook on. So much so, that when I remodeled the kitchen, I didn't put in a conventional oven - only a cooktop. I have a small Cuisinart counter-top, brick-lined, convection oven and a GE Advantium microwave above the cooktop. Everything else goes on the KK (or Grill Dome).

Trust me, you will not have "buyer's remorse" if you pull the trigger and buy a KK.

Thanks for the replies. As most, I want to have my cake and eat it too...just want to be sure the KK is quick-convenient for weekday, afterwork (read: tired!) short grill sessions.

For every other type of outdoor cooking I do when time permits (ala weekends/holidays) including smoking, roti, sear, reverse-sear, pizzas, etc., it certainly looks like the KK can do it with the best of them or better.

I also intended to get a gasser in addition to my KK. Fire magic is made here in So Cal, but I found a metal fabrication company that makes gas grills on the side. They have more BTU's and better quality stainless for about half the price. BUT, after a few weeks of using my KK, I gave up on that idea because I soon realized that I would never use the gas grill. Ever.

I use a weed burner (JT850 - google it) and can get my KK ready quickly also. I'd say 10-15 minutes tops and it's ready for direct grilling.

I also use the basket splitter, which uses 1/4 (or less) of the charcoal and helps to speed up the start time.

dstr8 - I have been using the KK since 2007, cook on it 3-6 times a week.

Loved it so much I have had 2 now for a number of years.

They are quick enough to fire up after work and enjoy.

The only way I would go back to gas is if charcoal vanished from the face of the earth.

At this time I am waiting to buy one of the new 16.5" models as well.

Like Normstar I also mostly use the basket splitter with 1/4 load of charcoal with the cover on the other half and it lights fast. I spin the top vent open quite a way, pull out the door a couple of inches and light it with a weed burner. Generally by the time I get outside again after going back in the house to gather what I want to take out to cook my dome is reading 500 deg and I'm throttling it back. I've never actually timed it but would say its 10 minutes or so, 15 mins tops. As long as you have a nearby place to store your lump, its not inconvenient at all. It's hard to imagine anyone regretting this purchase.

Susan

Ok...one more KK question. My smoker was apart of a built in island that went with the house we sold. Anyone that smokes knows the innards get pretty thick and crusty...at least that's the way steel smokers get. Not sure I want everything grilled tasting like leftover smoke from the smoker...

So how is it with the KK?

dstr8

the smoker got "thick-n-crusty" primarily because the source of heat is wood.

With a KK your source of heat is either lump charcoal or extruded charcoal (from Dennis).

The smoke source will be chunks or chips of wood you add, either direct to the coals or in a smoke box/pot.

This does not build up the creosote you see in a traditional wood smoker.

We use ours for low-n-slows with a lot of smoke and then grill chicken breast right afterward.

Bear in mind because of the lump charcoal you will get a natural smoke flavor, but it is subtle, not at all as string as when you smoke a shoulder or brisket.

I do think someone on the forum uses primarily wood in their KK, although Dennis recommends against it.

When a good sear is desired how is it to reach down in the belly of the KK with 600 degrees of heat blasting up at you?
n67508 For grilling only 2-6 steaks you don't have to light of the whole charcoal basket. You can decide to use only one half or one quarter basket.. The stainless sheet also effectively shuts off the airflow on the one side which doubles the airflow on the other side. Airflow of course it how temps are controlled. It also creates a two zone cooking area which is popular with some.. An unexpected benefit for me is that it's now easy to leave your hand/arm down in the grill, trust me at 650º dome it's raging hot down below the lip ... even with up to your elbows welding gloves on it's challenging to stay down there for extended periods.. I turn the basket so the splitter is pointing to 2 and 8 o'clock and the fire is to the left and back. This is ideal for a right handed person to reach into the grill and play with their food.. ;)

post-6370-13908240551_thumb.jpg

You could be grilling in about two weeks. I'm in New Orleans, actual shipping was about five days, payment to shipper pick up in LA, two days, maybe. I think I remember that to be about right. Thats assuming your grill is in the warehouse ready to be shipped.

Robert