jmagaram

Bending thermoworks probes

I'm waiting for my KK to arrive. I've ordered the Thermoworks TM8060 with a couple probes. The probes have a 90 degree angle and I've read they need to be bent straighter to fit through the temperature probe opening in the KK. What angle do they need to be to fit through without a lot of scratching and forcing? I want to get them bent prior to the grill arriving so when it does I'll be 100% reading to get cooking. I (actually my contractor) plan to bend them with a torch and vice and want to bend them the minimum necessary to avoid damaging the probes. If you have any suggestions about how to bend them too that would be helpful.

Although I've bent other thermocouple probes from 90 degrees to straight/near straight...slowly by hand using a vise...I now these Thermoworks probes and they both work great...and no modifying needed ;)   113-170 and 113-173

As with all probes, when you remove the probe from the meat be sure not to pull from the "cord"...but rather grab the metal portion of the probe to extricate...then you won't pull the probe wire from the probe needle.

I didn't understand why many probes have that 90 degree bend but now I do. Good suggestion on the other probe models. I didn't see them. I just stuck with the ones labeled "smokehouse" and the high temperature armor seemed like a smart idea in case I ever wanted the temperatures to go up really high or in case of user error. I haven't done much BBQ before. I assume that if I'm using a probe it will be at low temperatures in which case the probes you suggested will work great. If I'm searing at a very high temp I probably won't be using a probe - just sear till enough crust and browning. I can imagine cranking up the temperature at the end of a long chicken cook to crisp the skin, but don't really know yet.

Maybe unique to me but I, as you mentioned above, use the meat probes for generally below 350*F with most sessions in the 200-250*F range; no detrimental effects on either of the probes listed.  

For meat/fowl cooked at higher temps, including all things rotisserie of course (which I use regularly) I use one of their Thermapens.   But I do have a couple higher temp rated probes, originally with the 90 degree radius, I can cull into duty if need be.  

Gday, I asked Thermoworks about straightening the probes and also if they had a remote system in the pipeline, this was the reply from there tech support..

It would not be recommended to bend that probe back, but you may still thread that through your ceramic grill by unscrewing the mini connector at the end, threading it through, and then putting that plug back on. These probes are very high quality and meant to last with proper care. I think you would be very happy with them if you are doing a lot of grilling. We do have a remote thermometer unit that uses Bluetooth technology to connect wirelessly to any Bluetooth capable device. That product does have a 70 feet line of sight specification, which means if you are going through one or two walls with normal thickness you should be able to stay connected. The unit will alert you when you become disconnected. We have an app that comes with this device that is very helpful for monitoring the temperature over time, as it gives you a graph display along with max/min temps and an alarm. If you would like to proceed with an order, please let me know. I noticed you are located in Australia, and we would need to evaluate your order to determine the best way to fulfill it as an export. Some of our items we will ship ourselves, but if it is an item we do not ship we have a sister company closer to you that would offset the export fees associated with some of our products. If you have any further questions or concerns, I am happy to help. I look forward to hearing from you regarding the possibility of ordering with us.

BLUETHERMâ„¢ DUO

Model: 292-601

·       2 channel alarm

·       Customizable alarm sequences

·       iOS, Android, & PC

Sincerely,

Marissa McLean

Customer Care Associate

1762 W. 20 S., #100

Lindon, UT 84042 

toll-free: 800.393.6434

ph: 801.756.7705 

[email protected]

www.thermoworks.com

Sav, too bad you're not stateside as I'd sell you my Thermoworks Bluetherm Duo unit!   We have e-coated windows which according to Thermoworks can interfere with bluetooth transmission.  I bought it because of its remote read ability...but it just doesn't work for us.  And without remote read I'll just use my Fluke.

I bent my smokehouse probe slowly and carefully by hand.  You don't need to go to a full 45 degrees to make it through the port.  Also, stay away from the BlueTherm Duo, as per another thread on this forum.  The device and probes are awesome, but the bluetooth (blowtooth?) stinks.

I looked for a vice but my impatience got to me. It wasn't too difficult to bend the smokehouse armored probe with my hands. I used a small cloth towel to get a better grip on one side and was careful not to tweak the cable. Needed about a 160 degree angle to fit through. Did a temp test later and it compared fine to another probe from Thermoworks that hadn't been bent.

Sent from my All Series using Tapatalk

When I first got my KK I contacted BBQ Guru and they made me "straight" probes to replace my existing 90 degree stock probes. If I was ordering a new unit I'd ask them to make me straight probes, if I already had probes I'd just straighten them as Dennis suggests. At the time I didn't know better and ordered the straight ones. I need to go back and straighten my bent probes one of these days!

Bob

Funny, but the first picture still shows the bent probes, but all the others show the straight ones.

I've owned 2 of these in the past and been generally happy with them. Minor complaints about the on/off switch being inside the battery cover (hope the newer ones changed that). Hard to get to sync up sometimes (multiple attempts needed). And, the "pre-programmed" meat temperatures are all on the high side of the USDA recommendations, so you need to manually lower them to get the doneness that you really want, as they don't account for any increase during rest periods.

That said, a large percentage of reviews on Amazon of this new model are not good. Lots of complaints about probes dying after one or two cooks (or right out of the box). Others complained about it eating batteries and having low display brightness. Sounds like they didn't improve the interface either, as many complained about the same sync problems that the older model had. YMMV.