Majestik

Smoking the Baloney

Hey all,

I finally got around to trying this a couple weeks ago after reading about it years ago... smoking a loaf of bologna.

I got a 5lbish loaf, cut lines around it (don't know if the helped or not), and rubbed it down with mustard (as an "adhesive") and a good spicy sweet dry rub. Cooked it at about 350ish for 4 hours... The result was excellent. The bologna picked up a nice smokey flavor and the sweet spicy rub-crust made for a rather tasty sandwich. Had lunch off it for a week.

img6311baf5.jpg

So if you haven't tried it, I do recomend it. I think next time I'd try a lower temp for a longer time... and more smoke... but it's all good.

I'm now awaiting comments by Sanny.

:wink:

Ah pfft, that's just a load of baloney - :shock: - I meant loaf of baloney! hehe

Actually looks real good. I think I mentioned to you before, we have a little German meat store close by (no comments on having a meat store - hehe) and one of the many things they make is Fleishkase which is very similar you what you have here. It is in a loaf form like meat loaf, but looks and taste like baloney that has been cooked in their smoke oven. It is very good and sold warm on Friday and Saturday (when they make it up fresh).

-=Jasen=-

Boloognee sandmiches

Well' date=' I never heard of that. Ain't to much I like better than a fried bolona and dukes mayonaise samich. If this can compare the that...count me in :shock:[/quote']

I grew up in Laguna Beach before is was a resort and had it's own reality series.

I have fond memories of fried Boloognee, Best Foods/Helmans Mayo (no substitutes) and Haas rough skin avocados, locally know as Mexican butter..

Not having the Haas Avocados is a real negative to living in Asia! :(

Watery Avocados..

I had 2 large avacado trees in my back yard when we lived in Miami. We had oranges' date=' lime, grapefruit too. And bananas, mangos within reach of our fence :D[/quote']

At 8º south of the equator, we have great fruit here.. It's fallin' off the trees but the Avocados are huge smooth skin and watery. Not oily at all..

They even make avocado juice here.. It is of course a fruit!

:wink::wink:

Try slicing that and frying it on toast with tomato and thin sliced red onion, with a nice splash of hot sauce. It is a little bit of great.

This was a favorite of my dad, except the hot sauce. If he would have thought of that he would surely have added it as he put hot sauce on many things, including lasagne.

The loaf looks very good.

Dennis...I concur on the Avocados.....and the brands of mayo (I refuse to accept any other kind of mayo except when they add roasted garlic to that Best Foods/Helmans mayo