wilburpan

New Year’s lunch: seared scallops and more

My wife asked me to recreate a dish she used to like to have at one of our favorite restaurants, but they changed the dish around to something she likes less.

Here are the main ingredients. Asparagus, risotto, and scallops. The asparagus is drizzled with olive oil, salt, and pepper. The scallops just have salt and pepper on them.

16166450062_279f6682ea_c.jpg

16166452002_d9c8d96242_c.jpg

15547430653_7fcc7da83e_c.jpg

I set up Smaug with the searing grate, and the vents wide open. The veggies went on Smaug first. I also cooked some Korean green peppers left over from last weekend. People always talk about wanting a grill with a good amount of cooking area for all the meat that they want to cook. I think the amount of room that veggies can take up on a grill is often underestimated.

16166452702_8e4797ac7f_c.jpg

After the veggies were cooked, I put the scallops on. There was also some leftover prime rib that I cooked for my older son, who doesn’t like scallops for some wacky reason.

15979765838_011de1de96_c.jpg

Here’s how the scallops turned out. Just the right amount of sear, without burning anything. I found the key was to be patient and wait for the sear to develop, and then use a spatula to scrape the scallops off the grill.

16165300891_b60284d63d_c.jpg

And the final assembled dish: seared scallops on a bed of risotto, grilled asparagus, and some arugula with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

15979904900_e4e09146cb_c.jpg

Boy, was this good. Even better was the fact that we found really big sashimi quality scallops at the local Asian grocery store for $4.00/lb less than what we usually see. ^_^