wibblylee

Ribs

Smoked a pack of Costco (St. Louis style) ribs over the weekend. These were done indirect (used the drip pan only) on the main grill at 250-300.

Used 2 different rubs: 1) BBQ Bob's Alpha and 2) one I found off the internet.

08fea88645c6631e36c9efc796fb2f0c.jpg

Cooked them for 5 hours as they did not look done at 4. Probably should have stopped at 4 1/2. The meat was fall off the bone and the family loved them.

55f4f32bf87ef8d4273f7ead5eac0bcc.jpg

Next time I will try to keep the KK at 250ish and try 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Also might use the pork loin ribs instead.

• Like 2

I just scored the 3 pak of St. Louis ribs at CostCo. Hoping for a break in the weather this weekend to sneak in a cook on the KK. 

Dennis is an advocate for the "bend test" to check for doneness on ribs. Pick up the slab with a pair of tongs and bounce them slightly. If they are ready, the slab will bow until the meat starts to crack on the surface, as shown in the picture. A small crack means you need a little more time. It should be close to breaking when you lift the slab.  This is "competition done" (i.e., with a bit of bite to them, not "falling off the bone," which is actually overdone. Or worse, a sign that they were boiled/steamed first!)

post-975-0-77729400-1424389048_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've had competition ribs, you don't want to win a competition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AMEN! I served briefly on a competition team. Competition BBQ is meant to make a real impression with the judges in one and only one bite. To my pallet, competition BBQ is over the top. It's too sweet these days and the seasonings are, again to my pallet, an assault on your taste buds. I prefer my BBQ to be more subtle and I make it to the tastes of my guests, my family, and myself.

Home food where you eat more than one bite is definitely different from selling the judge on one bite.

Thanks Tony that photo is perfect to demonstrate what I look for with the bounce technique .. if you like them a bit more done wait until they just tear.. 

Remember that they are going to cook a bit more while resting too..