Cookie

Cookbook Recommendation

I received a stack of cookbooks for Christmas and have been working my way through them (mostly reading, some cooking). So far, this one is my favorite:

post-522-0-85629700-1428140816_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have access to 85% of the ingredients in most of his recipes here in Singapore, otherwise I'd cook this one front to back. Highly recommend.

Cookie

Will check it out. One of the few NOT in my collection. But, I've eaten at his restaurant in Charleston - Husk. Amazing!!

Cookbooks are one of my addictions! I have at least 150, (maybe closer to 200?), of which about 25 or so are on BBQ alone. They are scattered all over the house!! Plus, 2 big 3-ring binders of stuff printed off the web!

If you liked this one, check out the Lee brothers - http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Bros-Simple-Fresh-Southern/dp/B0085S5J5U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428160000&sr=8-2&keywords=lee+brothers. 

CC, did you actually check out Brock's book first? Hardly good old-fashion down home cooking; serious cuisine that just sounds rustic! While he tells a good story about the recipes, I decided to pass on it. The Lees' book on the other hand, is all about simple old fashioned Southern. Makes me homesick when I read it. 

CC, did you actually check out Brock's book first? Hardly good old-fashion down home cooking; serious cuisine that just sounds rustic! While he tells a good story about the recipes, I decided to pass on it. The Lees' book on the other hand, is all about simple old fashioned Southern. Makes me homesick when I read it.

Yeah, I check it out first. I actually bought your recommendation first and then went back to the Brock book. It looked interesting and that was the deal doer. Interesting did the deal. Hell, tony, I wasted more money on cheap booze and expensive dates than that book cost. I figured what the heck!

If nothing else, the Brock book would do your coffee table proud...  It is a big and beautiful...and for me, the narrative was excellent and took me to a place much closer to home than Singapore.

P.S.  If you like cocktails, check out 'Death & Co'.  Second favorite received for Christmas thus far:  http://www.amazon.com/Death-Co-Classic-Cocktails-Recipes/dp/1607745259

Also worthy of the coffee table.

Cookie

Hear ya, guys! It wasn't the price - hell, my bar tab is usually higher than that! Like I said, I've got so many cookbooks, I've run out of places to stash them; so I didn't need another one that I wasn't actually planning to cook out of. Yep, the photos were very nice and loved his narrative. Maybe down the road, as I did put it in my Wish List on Amazon just so I wouldn't forget about it.

I know this is a cold thread but you mention subjects that are close to my heart.  I too am a cookbook addict and wondered if you had found the website eatyourbooks?  It is a fab service.  You pay a small amount per annum - $30 I think - and you can tell it all the cookbooks that you own and you will hopefully find that most have been indexed.  This means that you can just type in search criterion and it will list the various recipes in your books that include the ingredient or cooking method or whatever you choose to search on.  You will also get a list of ingredients for shopping for each recipe.  The eatyourbooks site has transformed my relationship with my cookbooks. You ask: Why do this instead of simply searching the net for recipes?  I say: It means you can quickly pick out recipes from your trusted cookbooks or discover what is so great about others that you hardly ever use.  And I like books.  

The other subject that is close to my heart is drink and @Cookie piqued my interest with the Death & Co book ref.  My recommendation is for a book from another New York bar, PDT.  Great book and it has turned The Husband into my go-to cocktail maker.  Awesome.  https://www.amazon.com/PDT-Cocktail-Book-Bartenders-Celebrated/dp/1402779232/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513791851&sr=8-1&keywords=pdt   

I checked that service out a while back, I think when Pequod first posted it. While it sounded like a good idea at first, it hit me that I'd have to gather up all my cookbooks (hundreds), type in their names into the list, and then when I did a search, try to remember where that book is stashed - they're scattered in boxes all over the house. I'd be more inclined to use it if it pulled the actual recipe up for you to print out, so I didn't have to go rummaging for the book. 

2 hours ago, tony b said:

I'd be more inclined to use it if it pulled the actual recipe up for you to print out, so I didn't have to go rummaging for the book. 

Tee hee.  Makes me wonder why you keep the books if you can't get at them to use them.  I do sacrilegious things with mine - spatter them in cooking liquids and write notes in them about how the cook went.  My trouble was that I started to get to the point where I couldn't remember which book a particular recipe was in.  Noting which recipes I've cooked on eatyourbooks has been helpful as my book collection has grown.  But hey, it won't work for everyone!

1 minute ago, Pequod said:

I’m guessing @tony b still has Engineering books well organized on a shelf even though he’s retired and his cookbooks are in boxes. :-P;-)

I like the search features, the ability to see others’ ratings and notes, and the cookbook giveaways are fun too. I’ve won two books this year alone.

Ha ha.  You may well be right.  I was hoping Tony wouldn't be offended by my comment and now I have a reason to laugh rather than cringe at my rather African lack of tact...

Oh good, somewhere I'd be welcome I hope.  Although your football team isn't doing so well.  I have followed Philly for years and am just devastated about Wentz's injury.  I suspect that is a subject for another forum that I am not yet a member of.  To bed now.  I think you can probably tell that I am in a pre-delivery frenzy and should get some sleep....

22 minutes ago, Pequod said:

I’m guessing @tony b still has Engineering books well organized on a shelf even though he’s retired and his cookbooks are in boxes. :-P;-)

No, they're in boxes in the basement, too! :-D

I have 3 shelves of cookbooks in my kitchen for the ones that I refer to most. The 3 ft stack on the floor in the guest room are the most recent acquisitions. The boxes in the basement are for the ones that I bought, read and pushed aside, as I knew that I most likely would never cook out of them. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you for the site recommendation - Pequod, i guess I missed your reference to it.

We have a Cuisine at Home subscription, they deliver DVD volumes w/ PDF searchable, we also use Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book.

other than that, it is food network web pages and a set of four (and growing) volumes of handed down and downloaded recipes.

cheers, and hope your new adventure w/ KK cookin goes famously.

• Thanks 1