wilburpan

Back in the saddle — salmon steaks

Because of the lousy weather, work schedule and traveling for work, and other issues, it’s been a while since I was able to use Smaug. Since it was Good Friday, we decided to have grilled salmon steaks for dinner.

Salmon steaks. These were huge — one pound each. When I was picking them out at our local fish place, I didn’t really realize how big they were. Nothing fancy in the prep work, just a decent sprinkling of Old Bay.

17024373085_99f0316280_c.jpg

I got Smaug up to 500ºF, and let him sit there for a while since this was the first cook I’ve done in a couple of months just to burn off any funkiness that might have been lurking inside. I put the salmon steaks on, and grilled them until they were able to release easily, which was about 4 minutes. I flipped them once, and grilled the other side until I got to the easy release stage as well. 

17024373935_a46b3efa0c_c.jpg

After poking them with a fork, I let them sit a little while longer to make sure the inside was where I wanted it, which was another 3 minutes or so. I like salmon to have a nicely cooked outside, and the inside to be barely cooked. (I know, I need to get an instant read thermometer.)

Closeup of the salmon on the grill.

16838167719_927e7030cc_c.jpg

Plated, with some sautéed spinach and a leftover biscuit from Red Lobster.

17023508211_77fa5fa7c7_c.jpg

Yummy! Our local fish place does a great job of sourcing their fish. The salmon steaks were big enough that there’s leftovers for a second meal. I really misjudged the size of them when I was picking out the salmon steaks.

And am I glad the weather is better now.

• Like 1

Wilbur - well, KK cooking must be like riding a bicycle! You certainly can't tell you've be away for Smaug for a while! Those salmon steaks are the bomb and I love the pics of the cook. That money shot is purely delicious. Simply a beautiful cook. Kudos and congrats to you. Thanks for sharing!

You and your family have a blessed, happy, and wonderful Easter! Dominus vobiscum!

Really great cook. I almost never see salmon cut in steak portions like that. Every time I find them it's the flat with skin on one side. If I ever find them like yours I'll buy a few, they look delicious.

It took me a long time to get the cook until it releases concept burned into my brain. I ruined many fish cooks trying to learn such a simple concept.