Beef Country Ribs

Chef -

COOKED
4/5/2015:
KK set 220*
Cooked to 154*.
Wrapped in foil.
Cooked another hour.
Outstanding cook with great med textute.
Salt and pepper flavoring outstanding as always.
4/6/2015
I heated up a piece of chuck this morning. (microwave)  
Meat was dry. Way to dry.
Later will heat a piece in ziptop bag in hot water on stove.
Expect to still be to dry.
Suggest dropping first cook temp to 140*.
Notes:
Cook was good as eaten hot first time around.
Not good next day when nuked.
This can be a good new cook.
Any help will be appreciated.

I've been experimenting with pot roast on the grill for a while now - both top round and chuck roasts. (Bottom round is just a bit too tough to cook dry, even lo & slo!) I cook them like a brisket - to an IT of 210F. Usually injected with Butchers Brisket injection. Outside rub has varied; I've done Sucklebusters Hoochy Mama, Oak Ridge Black Ops, and Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks/Red Eye Express. All have been very good. Serious beefy flavor. Has become a house fav. Only reason for me to do a brisket anymore is for Burnt Ends. 

post-975-0-90766500-1428342240_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-18383300-1428342265_thumb.jpg

My philosophy is - If the meat comes out a bit on the dry side, that's why we invented gravy!! My go-to is to saute onions and mushrooms until just brown, add a little AP flour, cook slightly, add beef stock with some Herbs de Provence, reduce until just about thickened, then finish with a nice dollop of veal demi-glace, S&P to taste. Doesn't get much better than that!

• Like 3

House favorite for us is also chuck roast for pulled beef following the pepper stout beef recipe. I switched to using wine with some sherry(only white wine so far had no red wine) instead of beer. I find the wine give the beef much more flavor and I add mushrooms too. I can use this for lunch and dinner.

post-2313-0-49366100-1428352134_thumb.jp

House favorite for us is also chuck roast for pulled beef following the pepper stout beef recipe. I switched to using wine with some sherry(only white wine so far had no red wine) instead of beer. I find the wine give the beef much more flavor and I add mushrooms too. I can use this for lunch and dinner.

I've done something similar a few times using red wine. I then take the leftover juice and thicken it into a nice beefy, wine sauce.