ckreef

Crock Pot Brunswick Stew

A cool rainy day. Perfect use for leftover pulled pork.

313088d715c9fdb2f092e32cfe9e96ba.jpg

Everything in the crock pot.

3cd2420d2f233a9335c1bdd87dcce896.jpg

You didn't actually think I was using an electric crock pot did you? :rolleyes:

d7d95ce22c79637f7a5b70e119ec43e9.jpg

It's been on since 11:00 am. Still got a little ways to go. This is a new recipe I concocted. So far it's tasting spot on.

More pictures to follow.

ckreef, that stew has got to be very good :smt045

I keep tasting it every hour. Yummy. Being a recipe I concocted based on a variety of Internet recipes I was a little worried.

Shouldn't have worried as it tastes like a proper Brunswick Stew. Will probably post this in the recipe section.

Love the use of the dutch oven in the KK.  Nice work.

P.S.  Please let me know what kind of charcoal you used and whether or not you think this is detrimental to an enameled piece of cookware.  I've always used plain cast iron for these types of cooks for fear that it might ruin a 'pretty' piece of cookware.

Cookie, I've used enameled casseroles in my grill many times and never have had a problem, knock on wood :iconbiggrin: When I used them it was at the normal oven temps and the most that ever happened was that they require a little more cleaning if smoke collected on the outside. I wouldn't want to say what might happen if you used a very high temp. but I never had reason to do that. I was just cooking a casserole the same as I would in the kitchen oven. 

I too use all different types of ceramic cookware in my Kamados. I like ceramic as it cleans easily. (never Pyrex as it's a PITA to clean) I have ceramic pie pan, ramekins, casserole dishes, it's all good.

Just go buy the cheapie stuff from Walmart if you are worried about ruining a high dollar piece. That's all I use. I think most ceramic is good up to around 500*. I've gone that high before. I've even stuck them in my pizza oven for a 20-30 second blast of Super high heat to melt the cheese on whatever dish I was cooking.

Was using RO lump.

To end this cook.

Mrs skreef cooked some corn bread fritters to go along with the Brunswick Stew.

74ee09ed6c2b7040b5c6064f1af04ee4.jpg

In the end the taste was spot on the money. The texture was all wrong. At 6 hours it was perfect and I should have pulled it then. Unfortunately I didn't. It stayed on for a little over 8 hours which wrecked the texture. Oh well live and learn. I have a few tweaks for my next batch.

8278b7ed1b251834b90dc28f79600987.jpg

Ckreef, you said, "It stayed on for a little over 8 hours which wrecked the texture." but didn't say how? What was wrong with it - mushy, chewy, too dry???

Basically it got mushy. At 6 hours the tomatoes, okra and pulled pork were all still intact. By the time I took it off those three items had basically fallen apart (best way to describe it).

Don't get me wrong it tasted really good but it would have been better at the 6 hour mark.

I still have enough leftover pulled pork to try this again maybe on Sunday.