Howdy KKers!

Well, last Sunday was the 40th anniversary of my 21st birthday!  I've beaten the odds again.  I collected BIG bucks on the over/under at 40 and again when I hit 60.  Given that I'm playing with House money at this point, I decided to treat myself for surviving my best efforts to plant myself.  I went out and bought an iGrill 2 Bluetooth Connected Thermometer!  So here is the unboxing and a mini review.

Here is the box that showed up from Amazon:

post-1637-0-44928000-1429559806_thumb.jp

When you cut through the tape sealing the box and get the lid off, here is what greats your eye:

post-1637-0-98499600-1429559883_thumb.jp

And here is with the instructions removed:

post-1637-0-42739100-1429559911_thumb.jp

SURPRISE of all surprises!  Batteries INCLUDED!  You could have knocked my over with a feather.

And here are the batteries installed in the unit:

post-1637-0-08671300-1429560027_thumb.jp

Here is a picture of the brains of the iGrill 2 next to its magnetic base:

post-1637-0-53467000-1429560144_thumb.jp

As you can see it is searching for a Bluetooth connection.  

As I mentioned above, the base of the iGrill 2 is magnetic.  Here is a picture of it slapped on my refrigerator:

post-1637-0-27647200-1429560239_thumb.jp

I guess I'm out of luck with the magnetic feature here as KKs are all refractory and stainless steel, but the base is substantial and will sit just quite nicely on Beauty! and TheBeast's teak side tables.

Two angled probes were included with the base unit.  The probes are 4.5 foot long and coated with a braided wire covering.  They seem to be of very good quality and when I tested then against the boiling point of water adjusted for altitude here in OKC (about -1F per 500 feet altitude), they were spot on (about 210F)!

Here is a picture of the probes, their cases which are durably made, and act as a reel for when you stow the iGrill 2.

post-1637-0-23561500-1429560901_thumb.jp

And finally, here is a picture of the base unit with the two probes.  Notice that the base unit has the capability of reading 4 temperatures simultaneously.  There are 4 jacks for the temp probes.  When I use this thermometer, I'll be using one probe for the main grate and 3 probes for tracking the temps in/on various cooks.  This unit shipped with two probes and additional probes are available form the manufacturer at $25 each.  I could not find them listed on Amazon.

Here are the dick and jane simple instructions that came with the iGrill 2.  Even I can read and follow these directions!

post-1637-0-06875600-1429561914_thumb.jp

post-1637-0-49868800-1429561929_thumb.jp

post-1637-0-33291200-1429561964_thumb.jp

KKers, some have downgraded their viewpoint of this thermometer because it is a Bluetooth technology based instrument.  Bluetooth is, by its very nature, limited in its range.  I didn't find this to be a problem in my test of it's operational parameters.  My recliner is well within the limited range of Bluetooth (approximately 150 ft as quoted by the mfgr.).  Bluetooth performance is substantially degraded by solid structures.  I didn't have any problems over the distances I sampled (about 75 feet max.).

So in way of synopsizing, I found this thermometer to be well package, solidly built, the probes are very accurate as proved by the  boiling point of water, and the Bluetooth range was not a problem.  The App that I downloaded from the App Store is well designed and offers more than just means of graphically capturing thermocouple data.  

Because of the Bluetooth technology, this device may not be for everyone.  If you think it is for you, buy it through Amazon, test the Bluetooth effectiveness for yourself.  It it proves out not to be what works best for you, return it immediately to Amazon.  Make certain to review Amazon's Return Policies before hitting the purchase button.

I'll post a more comprehensive review after my first cook with this thermometer.

Fellow KKers,

I gifted myself another little gift ... a very highly regarded brand of rice cooker, a Zojijushi.  A few cookers here on the KK Forum use the with great effect and highly recommend them. What I also found out is that the cooker can also cook porridge (oatmeal), steam veggies, cook brown rice, etc.  I'm not much of a fan of white rice, but I positively love brown, black, and wild rices.  This thing handles them with great ease and I am assured that even I can't screw it up!  LOL!!!!!  So, on to the unboxing.

The packaging on this rice cooker is very well done.  IN fact, I can't remember better or more informative packaging.  Here are a couple of pics of the box:

post-1637-0-77597300-1429634342_thumb.jp

Here is an informative end panel:

post-1637-0-49423200-1429634384_thumb.jp

Next is what greets the owner when you open the box: a rice paddle is included (who knew I needed a rice paddle to serve rice!)

post-1637-0-61595100-1429634501_thumb.jp

Here are the Quick Start instructions.  Pretty easy to follow, easy to understand.  Even I can't screw up this deal!

Here's the front:

post-1637-0-00174200-1429634595_thumb.jp

And the back:

post-1637-0-22025500-1429634618_thumb.jp

Here is the rice cooker itself in the box:

post-1637-0-52709100-1429634662_thumb.jp

And here's the lid popped open with a couple of measuring cups included to be used with the cooker:

post-1637-0-77419300-1429634718_thumb.jp

The black nonstick pan/pot comes out for easy cleaning and has markings for easy measurement of brown, sushi, and white rices:

post-1637-0-95490700-1429634829_thumb.jp

Here is a photo of the front control panel:

post-1637-0-51587200-1429634896_thumb.jp

KKers, the instructions are very well written.  Zojirushi is a Japanese company.  Now it has been my experience that whenever you buy a foreign product, the translation of the vital operating instructions suffers greatly.  Those instructions seem to be written by engineers for whom English is a 3rd or 4th language.  These instructions are very clearly written with lots of clear and informative diagrams.  

So, there it is.  My last gift to myself for merely waking up every morning for 61 years!  LOL! I'll post a review of this cooker as I use it.  I'll be mostly cooking wild, brown and black rices as well as oatmeal (especially Irish Oatmeal) and steaming veggies from time to time.  

If you want to look at the cooker on Amazon, here is the link.

Nice, I'll be waiting for your review also. :iconbiggrin:  :smt023  :smt023  I think the inside of the top lid just pops out for easy cleaning too :)

You are absolutely right, MacKenzie!  I think I'm going to have a spot of porridge tomorrow morning and get everything set up this evening so that it's waiting for me tomorrow morning at 5:30!

Happy 61.008th birthday, Ken!

We cook rice quite a bit at my house. (I know, what a surprise for a Chinese family, AMIRIGHT?) One of these days I’d like to get a Zojirushi, but I’m waiting for the budget rice cooker that I bought when I was in school to give up the ghost first. The problem is that your basic rice cooker is pretty much bulletproof, since there’s not a whole lot to go wrong. After all, it’s just a small double boiler, a switch, a heating element, and a thermostat. ^_^

Your unit is too new for this, but if you remember next year, let me know how the nonstick coating on the rice cooker bowl is holding up.

Wilburpan, I've had mine for a couple of years and the non stick is as good as new, I only use the tool that came with it, never anything sharp. The mac & cheese slips right out of the bowl and clean up is slick. I am afraid you are doomed, I have a basic one too. It is still going after 25 years:-(

Happy 61.008th birthday, Ken!

We cook rice quite a bit at my house. (I know, what a surprise for a Chinese family, AMIRIGHT?) One of these days I’d like to get a Zojirushi, but I’m waiting for the budget rice cooker that I bought when I was in school to give up the ghost first. The problem is that your basic rice cooker is pretty much bulletproof, since there’s not a whole lot to go wrong. After all, it’s just a small double boiler, a switch, a heating element, and a thermostat. ^_^

Your unit is too new for this, but if you remember next year, let me know how the nonstick coating on the rice cooker bowl is holding up.

Just so happens that this month's Cook's Illustrated had test on rice cookers. Here's there winner and it's only $30.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WQ9YNO/?tag=cioequippilot-20

Now, I'm confused by CC's post. His link sends you to the Zojirushi model NS-ZCC10, which came in 2nd in Cook's test. But, that's not the model in his pictures, which is model NS-WAS10-WD. However, the WAS10 is $50 cheaper than the ZCC10 and gets equally good reviews on Amazon as the more expensive model. Cook's didn't test this model. There were a fair number of negative comments on both Zojirushi model in Amazon relating to the coating peeling off and the cooker dying right after the warranty period expires. YMMV.