tony b

Amazing Poached Eggs

Poached eggs for the first time in the SV bath. Only way to describe it - PERFECTION!!!

142F for 50 minutes, in the shell. Yes, leave them in the shell. I was initially concerned about being able to get them out after the cook without breaking the yokes. NO PROBLEM. Light tap on the counter, just like you'd crack a raw one, and they slide out of the shell easily and in one piece. 

Now, for the best part (sorry, no pics), but the eggs were for one of my favorite pasta dishes - cacio e pepe, with a poached egg. Think carbonara without the panchetta.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cacio-e-pepe-365162

I tweaked it a little by using a blend of olive oils - Stonehouse basil, Trader Joe's Sicilian and White Truffle oils, with a pinch of garlic powder instead of the butter.

The poached egg just takes it over the top! Simple, but elegant and will put you into a full-on foodgasm!

• Like 1

Sounds gr8!   I too, since learning from Lidia years ago, poach an egg yolk (1-per pasta serving) just a minute or so until the outside skins over, in the hot but not boiling pasta water and place it atop the mounded pasta.  The sum is greater than the parts ;)

Last night did a "re-do" but as a langostino scampi. Used the "broth" from the langostino SV pouch with a splash of dry sherry, browned butter, and roasted garlic to finish the pasta. Tossed the langostino (cooked SV) in the EVOO, parsely, ground garlic, coarse black pepper, basil and white truffle oils just to coat. Pasta into the bowl, then the langostinos, parm/romano cheese, then topped with the SV poached egg.

OK, now the pictures! 

Platted with side salad, crusty bread, and a nice white wine (Picpoul).

post-975-0-05188000-1430232173_thumb.jpg

Mr. DeVille, I'm ready for my close-up.

post-975-0-15029900-1430232256_thumb.jpg

Money shot!

post-975-0-74228700-1430232276_thumb.jpg

• Like 2