tony b

Not “The Other White Meat�

Sorry for the initial soap box, but the National Pork Board did us all a great disservice when they came up with their campaign of pork as “The Other White Meat†back in the late 80’s. To make us all think that pork was suddenly “healthy,†to shore up declining pork sales as more and more people gravitated to chicken, they convinced pig farmers to concentrate on breeds and farming practices that yielded leaner meat, i.e., not much fat; hence, not much flavor, which was also lighter in color. So, the pork processors began compensating by brining all their pre-packaged pork cuts in the supermarket, e.g., Hormel’s Always Tender, to keep them “juicy†and “flavorful†to compensate for the lack of fat. Fortunately we’ve re-discovered that “real pork†is seriously better tasting and a lot of small producers are reverting back to the original heritage breeds, like Berkshire, and sustainable farming practices (no growth hormones or antibiotics). So, I give you tonight’s dinner – locally grown Berkshire pork chops!

post-975-0-99522700-1436924575_thumb.jpg

Notice this meat is NOT WHITE! And look at that yummy fat! Thought they’d be a good trial for the Cimarron Rub that tinyfish turned me on to.

post-975-0-64446900-1436924633_thumb.jpg

On to the grill. 

post-975-0-69787900-1436924915_thumb.jpg

Since I love smoked pork chops, thought I’d simulate that by putting the chops on while the KK was coming up to temp and light a chunk of peach wood to cold smoke the chops before they started to cook.

Tonight’s side dishes – curried rice pilaf and a squash and mushroom medley (some assembly required) – zucchini, yellow squash, onions, mushrooms, garlic, Herbs de Provence in white wine and S&P.

post-975-0-75190500-1436924969_thumb.jpg

Done “en papillote†– in this case in an aluminum foil pouch.

post-975-0-61487700-1436925012_thumb.jpg

On the KK, direct, at 300F for about 20 minutes, remember the chops when on about 30 minutes earlier at about 100F as the KK was heating up. 3 small peach wood chunks for smoke.

post-975-0-34409300-1436925095_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-39214400-1436925141_thumb.jpg

Off the grill and ready to plate.

post-975-0-37480700-1436925178_thumb.jpg

Plated and ready for Dinner!

post-975-0-96208000-1436925212_thumb.jpg

So, moral of the story, seek out your local, small farm, meat producers and support them! Life’s too short to waste it on bland, factory farm raised meat!

Thanks all for the kind words!

That is one good looking plate. What was the total chop time. I just gotta try that.

The chops went onto a cold grill to "pre-smoke." So, the total grill time was about an hour. Most of the cooking, I'm guessing, took place in the last 30 minutes, after the KK got above 200F. I flipped them over when I put the foil pack on the grill, with about 20 minutes to go.

The price on the chop package is pretty nice also ;)  :cheer:

I wish!! I didn't buy directly from the Locker, but from my local butcher at the Farmer's Market. He sets the price. The Berkshire products generally run about twice as much as supermarket pork. But, it's worth every extra penny!!! Trust me, the fat is almost as good as the meat. I ate every bite on these chops, except for the bone!  :tongue8:

Ditto the stupid American pork industry's messing up what once was a good thing.  Like you we are able to source top shelf real pork from small farms...most notably all things Iowa although there are a few wonderful small farms in NorCal too.

Several years ago we bought an Iberico type hog from a small Iowa farmer/hog raiser, we split up, which was finished on acorns.   It was insanely good!   

Sidebar/hijack:  If you ever see, assuming you haven't cooked them, baby goat racks...which are becoming a little more common in foodie circles, I heartedly recommend you give them a try.  Given the choice between lamb racks or goat racks...goat wins hands down in my book 100% of the time.  

I hate coming in here at feeding time :D