GoFrogs91

Have you ever tried a smoked pot roast?

Wow! I tried the recipe in this link for the first time last week. Unbelievable. Sorry, no pics.

http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1866

I made the following adjustments:

-Smoked roast on the grill for 1.5 hours with bourbon oak barrel staves

-I added two sprigs of rosemary and several sprigs of thyme

-Veggies were quartered onions, carrots, and baby Bella mushrooms

-Roast was served with mashed potatoes

I have to say it was fantastic. If you haven't tried this, I highly recommend it. The family raved about the smell and taste.

I've done many a roast over the years. Always got kudos from the family/guests. I've found that folks like roasts with a lighter smoke flavor than would normally be put on ribs, butts etc, even adjusting for time. On roasts I tend to smoke with alder, light fruits such as apple and peach, and keep the time on smoke to under a couple of hours. I then braise the cook in a beef broth and wine liquid with all the usual suspects for veggies.

I've pretty much stopped doing whole briskets in favor of doing smaller roasts - chuck, bottom round, etc. I do them just like a brisket, injected, dry rubbed, and cooked indirect at 250F, either oak, pecan, bourbon staves, or mesquite, mixed with cherry wood in the smoker pot, to about 205F internal. All the veggies are cooked separate. Kabobs of potato, carrot, mushrooms, and onion work well. Note: don't mix the veggies on the same skewers - they cook at different times. Keep them separate on their own skewers, which also allows you to season each differently.

Currently waiting for my butcher paper from Amazon, so I can try one using the Aaron Franklin method.