Poochie

Using the rotisserie

I have the rotisserie basket coming with my KK and the motor is on the way as we speak. The only thing I've ever rotisseried (if that's a word) is yardbirds that you typically stab to death and rotate until done. There's another post about cooking a beef roast on here and I'm wondering if the basket can accommodate a beef roast over 5 pounds or so.  I'm thinking even a trimmed rack of ribs might work too. I know that unlike a rib-o-lator that the ribs would actually rotate, but it just might work. What are some none chicken items you've done rotisserie style?

In the time that I've been using my rotisserie, I have found that how well centered the meat is is more important than the absolute weight. A 10 lb. roast that is balanced well in the basket will be easier to spin than a 5 lb. roast that is off center.

One could even write equations for this, but the intuition is absolutely spot-on. Car dealers say "People buy horsepower, but they drive torque." In outer space, one can spin an arbitrarily massive object with one's pinky finger, but there is an energy transfer that takes lots of patience. For a perfectly balanced rotisserie, the bearing resistance tends to dominate. Unless you trim your meat first on a lathe, it will be impossible to figure out how  to attain perfect balance, and the bottleneck will be lifting the imbalanced meat. Watch the meat as it rotates, and fiddle, knowing this is the issue.

The best chicken I've ever had from a gas grill was using a rotisserie. I prefer managing chicken by hand on my KK grates, and we gave away our rotisserie to a new KK owner. He didn't want it either, but I never picked it back up and we lost touch. Part of the deal is that the KK grates are so much easier to clean up than a rotisserie. I never tried more massive roasts that might benefit from the rotation.

As long as the roast fits the cradle and you balance it you can spin It. This is a 3 bone rib roast about 7# stills lots of room on both sides of the cradlepost-2313-0-02506900-1438205877_thumb.pn

This was my first attempt at a rotisserie cook before my One Grill motor arrived and unfortunately it didn't work. The motor was not strong enough and the roast was way of balance my inexperience.

Thanks for the info, guys. I received my rotisserie motor today and it says "reversed" for KK on it, but I when I tested it out, it rotates in the same direction as my Weber rotisserie. Sound right?  The direction is clockwise when looking into the drive side.

IMG_2714_zps9mgmtbw5.jpg

If looking at the motor shaft it should spin clockwise that means the rotisserie will be spinning counter clockwise.

OK, that must still mean that the Weber rotisserie motor could have done the job. Probably not handle the load that the One Grill does, but the Weber will be my backup just in case.

If looking at the motor shaft it should spin clockwise that means the rotisserie will be spinning counter clockwise.

Now that I think about it, if you look from the left side towards the motor, the basket will appear to spin clockwise. Look from the motor end towards the left sid of the basket, and it'll appear to spin counter clockwise. But if the meat turns out yummy, who cares?

Now that I think about it, if you look from the left side towards the motor, the basket will appear to spin clockwise. Look from the motor end towards the left sid of the basket, and it'll appear to spin counter clockwise. But if the meat turns out yummy, who cares?

Does that mean we must eat out of the other side of our mouth?

Though I have never used the rotisserie for the KK, I've used these exact EZ-Que rotisseries (The name of the original manufacture) for other grills.

If the motor spins the wrong direction, there is a chance that (instead of spinning the basket) the threaded rod in the side of the rotisserie will unscrew and the basket will fall off.

The quick and easy way to fix the reversed motor problem (at least with other One Grill rotisserie motors I've had) is just to put the batteries in backwards. ;-) Not joking, it works!

Though I have never used the rotisserie for the KK, I've used these exact EZ-Que rotisseries (The name of the original manufacture) for other grills.If the motor spins the wrong direction, there is a chance that (instead of spinning the basket) the threaded rod in the side of the rotisserie will unscrew and the basket will fall off.The quick and easy way to fix the reversed motor problem (at least with other One Grill rotisserie motors I've had) is just to put the batteries in backwards. ;-) Not joking, it works!

I figured it was probably an unscrewing issue.

I have a rotisserie motor on my Blackstone Pizza Oven and I'm hoping that the shaft socket is the right size. It's a nice black metal case one and should have enough umph as the Blackstone has to spin a good amount of weight. I believe it's rotating in the correct direction.