tlinder

Searing steaks

Cannot answer on the KK, but in the past with a K, I just opened the top damper and bottom damper all the way till I got about 800. Then I just slapped the steaks right on the main grill for 90 seconds per side. Shut the dampers and let it dwell for a few more minutes till medium.

My first searing experiments started on a home made sear grill, but if you let the fire get to big, your gonna loose arm hair - hehe - if your lucky nothing else. Though using a sear grill will be faster, use less charcoal and not make you have to get your grill up to that high temp.

So you have more than one choice, choice it up to you. Either way, just get plenty of flames on the grill and sear it for 60-90 seconds per side, close it down and dwell till desired temp.

-=Jasen=-

I don't have first hand knowledge of kk cooking either but from my days with the other tiled cooker and from my current ceramic cookers: Basically the same pattern that Jasen suggests though I'm very happy with about 500F max temp for 1.5min per side, then shut both dampers down and let it dwell for another few minutes depending on thickness of steak and desired level of done-ness. Typically I let 1" steaks dwell for about 6 minutes for medium rare steaks.

But I really posted to plug a product: Charcrust. Available from http://www.charcrust.com/ and many other online sites. I simply can't make a comparable steak without it. It was once the biggest and best thing on the ceramic forums but now I rarely see it mentioned - not sure why - perhaps folks got tired of the unique kinda-sweet charred crust that develops or perhaps they've found something better and I missed the boat - or maybe a bunch of people are using it and just haven't talked about it in a while.

And, no, I have no financial ties or any other connections to the product. I almost exlusively use the original blend and have been somewhat disappointed by the other flavors.

But I really posted to plug a product: Charcrust. Available from http://www.charcrust.com/ and many other online sites. I simply can't make a comparable steak without it. It was once the biggest and best thing on the ceramic forums but now I rarely see it mentioned - not sure why - perhaps folks got tired of the unique kinda-sweet charred crust that develops or perhaps they've found something better and I missed the boat - or maybe a bunch of people are using it and just haven't talked about it in a while.

And, no, I have no financial ties or any other connections to the product. I almost exclusively use the original blend and have been somewhat disappointed by the other flavors.

I found it once locally and was not impressed. I cannot remember what I tried it on (I think it was fish). Maybe I will give it another try then on steak - if I can find it again.

Oh yeah, the reason I like a little higher temps is I like some good dark crispies (ok, so it is just burnt fat) on my steak and it seems like I really got to get that temp up there to achieve.

Depends on the Steak...

My preferred cut is an NY strip (don't know what it's called on the other side of the pond).... It's the bigger half of a porterhouse. For the NY strip and other "flatter" cuts the methods described previously will work great. I flip the steak with a spatula or tongs. Some folks use the big two pronged fork but too much moisture leaks out of the hole).

For filet's (the smaller side of the porterhouse), I get cuts that are shaped more like a cube and I find searing on all 6 sides for about a minute before lowering the temperature works best.

I insert a instant read thermometer while the steak is cooking at the lowered temperature and pull it off the grill ~125*F and let it sit for ~15 minutes before serving/cuting with the temperature probe inserted. The steak will continue to "cook" for a little bit after it's off the grill... generally close to 130*F or so. This I find gets me a perfect medium rare steak. The USDA says that medium rare is 145*F... They're wrong! ;) At 145*F the Steak is WELL DONE if not burnt IMHO.

Always start with a full load of lump and a clean firebox. to get the cooker up to searing temperatures (600*F for me).

I recently started using the charcrust again' date=' the roasted garlic peppercorn flavor topping a 50-50 onion powder/garlic powder mix on some ribeyes that was excellent.[/quote']

Yeah, I still use it a lot. Always liked the Garlic Peppercorn best, but use 3 or 4 different ones.

But I really posted to plug a product: Charcrust. Available from http://www.charcrust.com/ and many other online sites.

Gerard: I have used Charcrust and had good results. I think I would be more inclined to use more frequently it if it were less expensive. Does anyone have a place to buy the commercial size shown on the site?

Alternately, does anyone have a recipe for a mix it yourself version?

Thanks

Gregg

...Gerard: I have used Charcrust and had good results. I think I would be more inclined to use more frequently it if it were less expensive. Does anyone have a place to buy the commercial size shown on the site? ...

A packet, though admittedly small for $4.50, goes a long way. I imagine I do a dozen or more steaks with each packet. Doesn't seem that expensive on $10/lb meat. (Esp when that meat is on a $1000+ cooker :P )

Now, if you only order one packet and still have to pay the 8.50 shipping, then it gets less appetizing. But I usually order a half dozen or more at a time.

Best bet if you don't want to get more than one, would be to find a local source so you didn't have to pay shipping. There is a phone number to call at the website.

I forgot they had a commercial size. I bet that costs a pretty penny.

I personally don't use lots of herbs,spices etc on a steak before a sear. Many will burn with the high temps and not taste too good. I prefer to salt the meat with a coarse salt such as kosher or coarse sea salt and let them rest for 30 minutes at room temp. This brings proteins to the surface of the meat which aids in browning. Also depending on the cut of meat I may use oil first before salting. This will help with heat transfer. Fattier cuts such as strip steaks or rib steaks, I'll typically pass on the oil but it won't hurt if you use it. Tenderloin can benefit from the oil. I never use it on wagyu beef though.

As far as the KK set up goes I use lots of lump and the main grill. I also remove the lower draft door to get the KK rocket hot, usually in excess of 800 degrees. I then sear on both sides and then replace the draft door and close it down to reduce temp and let the steaks dwell. I pull the meat off at an internal temp of 120 and wait 10 minutes before devouring it. I'll usually spice once removed from the grill but for the most part just prefer salt and pepper.

I hope this helps.

Joe

searing

Ok the dome thermometer will do that I guess, I will be able to also as soon as I get mine Dennis :wink:

I got the impression thou Sanny, that on the meat temp they are keeping an eye on it and pulling the meat off as soon as it reaches 120 t0 130, to do that they must have the thermometer stuck in the meat and left there with lid closed. :?:

Hotsauce, Im not aware of a pit monitor or themometer out there that can withstand searing temps. Most are rated to 400-450* range. Not even DJs super modified fiberglass sleeves will do much good in a sear!

Cooking a steak is not as temperature critical as say a 18 hour low and slow. That is, you will be standing nearby the entire time, so mistakes are hard to make - unless you walk away and forget your steak :shock:

When searing, its typically just for a couple of minutes a side, depending on how much crust you are looking for. You will want to let the grill sit at temperature for a while before adding the meat, so there is enough residual heat to release in the dwell period. After shutting down, and dwelling, there are a couple of techniques you can use to check for doneness. You could use an instant read thermometer, or you can press on the meat and see how firm it is. The latter takes a bit of practice to learn exactly what steak at each temperature feels like, but once you have it figured out, its pretty reliable. Meat will tighten and get firmer as it cooks, once you find your perfect feel, you can just press on the meat and see if its done.

If you go the thermometer route, Thermapen makes some really nice instant read units, with a very narrow probe so your juices dont run out. I saw a special on their website that they had some sort of deal on a IR (surface temp) and remote instant read going on.

Not even DJs super modified fiberglass sleeves will do much good in a sear!

Hey! It will too stand up - hehe - for right about 30-45 seconds from what I remember from my tests!

I agree with the touch method, but frankly, once you have cooked a few on the grill, you should have no problem timing it. I always get the same cut and the same thickness steaks, so my time rarely changes.

-=Jasen=-

Thank you for all the tipps. I was now already several times very successful with this system that is loosely based on a very detailed manual on www.biggreenegg.com:

1. Leave the Steaks outside of the fridge for about 2 hours to get it to room temperature

2. Heat the KK up to 700 degrees

3. Rub the steak with kosher sea salt and coarse ground pepper, and olive oil

4. Wait another 5 minutes

5. Open the KK and throw the steaks onto the grill and leave it open

6. Turn the steaks after 90 seconds

7. Take the steaks of the grill after another 90 seconds

8. Close the KK and close the damper door and damper top to get the temp. down to 350 degrees.

9. Let the steaks rest on a plate for 20 minutes

10. Put the steaks into the KK and put a thermometer into the biggest piece of meat. Close the KK

11. Wait till the meat reaches about 120 (for rare) or 140 (for medium) degrees.

Enjoy!

porterhouse.jpg